Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood liner

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:35 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood liner

Hello. I purchased a Discovery I 1996 for my wife. The post on here have been very helpful in going through it. I am changing all of the fluids, plugs wires etc...

The hood liner is shot. Can I just remove it or would this hurt the hood paint? I removed it on my dodge cummings and all is well.

When I changed the transmission filter, I replaced the fluid with 9.5 quarts as the manual indicates. We took it to get tires and it started leaking fluid. I couldn't tell where from but I believe it was coming back up and through the dip stick. I checked when we got home and it was overfull by about two quarts. Any thoughts on this? Also the check engine light came on. How do I get this to go off?

I bought plugs and cannot find magnacore wires locally. I will order them unless any of you can suggest a place to get them. Does this model have a cap and rotor? The wires tie into a long rectangular box?

We really like the Discovery and I am working to bring new life to it. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buckaroo
I bought plugs and cannot find magnacore wires locally. I will order them unless any of you can suggest a place to get them.
Best price here: http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...t.asp?scat=306
type in "Apex-Wins-10" during check-out for an additional 10% off

Last edited by mwindth; 02-18-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Quit driving your truck until you call me, you have really over filled the tranny and will blow seals quickly.
E-mail me your tele number.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You need to drain out some tranny fluid, and never ever just add what the book calls for, always add less and then add slowly to top off.
For example, add 5 quarts, start the engine, shift through all the gears and then check the fluid level.
Add half a quart, and check the fluid level again, repeat until it is full, then drive it for a day and check the fluyid level again.

If you remove the hood liner the truck will be noisier and the heat may bubble the paint, I dont think it will but it might.

As for turning off the check engine light, you will either need to buy a OBDII scanner or rent one.
AutoZone has a free loan-a-tool program, for a $160 refundable deposit you can use one from AutoZone.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The torque converter held onto alot of fluid

Dont drive the truck until you resolve this!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:55 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re hood liner

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Quit driving your truck until you call me, you have really over filled the tranny and will blow seals quickly.
E-mail me your tele number.

Thanks for the help guys. We drove it thirty miles. When I got home and realized I had overfilled it, I drained the trans down to proper level right then. Disco Mike, I will PM you with my number.

Any ideas on where to get a hoodliner?

Thanks

Old 02-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Try to find one at a salvage. I pulled mine off for the same reason, and it baked the clear off. It was in poor shape to start with, but in the summer, with all that heat retained by an aluminum block, it is literally hell on the paint.

Try to fix yours or find a replacement.