Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to check if parking sensor actually installed / working?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 03:08 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to check if parking sensor actually installed / working?

this may seems like a very stupid thing to ask, yet, I am asking it...
I had my disco 2 for just about over a month now and bought some rear lower lamp guards, genuine and new, for a cheap price on ebay.

I was just about to install them, when I actually noticed that I had distance sensors in my rear bumper... But,
a. no sound ever came out when I reverse
b. no button on the instrument cluster bezel for parking sensors

If as I suspect, I do have parking sensors, what are the steps to activate it? Install the button? Check the fuse?

Any reasons you guys may think of for the previous owners to remove it?

Thanks!

Pictures below

Old 02-23-2018, 03:31 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

The reverse sensors are activated by the reverse gear in conjunction with the reversing lamps. There should be at minimum a sound within the cabin space which sounds when closing on an object and becomes more rapid until continuous when backing up to an object. If this isn't happening there is a problem. To test your reversing sensors get someone to walk closely behind the D2 but ensure you are in reverse gear with the ignition on and with your foot firmly on the brake pedal. Reversing sensors etc don't have any dash switches as it would defeat their objective if you forget to turn the on.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

OffRoadFrance actually my 04 does have a switch to disable them, it is an every time use though not a permanent off. Very handy if they get covered in mud or ice and the beeping is driving you nuts

TheKooksSociety my switch is the lowest switch on the left hand side, yours is unmarked leading me to believe it does nothing.

Could it be a simple as a bumper swap ?

Old 02-23-2018, 05:15 PM
Drifting

Thanks for your answers

Below is the button that is supposed to be in the later Disco 2 models (I think 03-04), I think. Like yours Richard Gallant.

To test your reversing sensors get someone to walk closely behind the D2 but ensure you are in reverse gear with the ignition on and with your foot firmly on the brake pedal
>> Nope nothing. No noise, whatsoever. No beep. Nothing. No click either when listening close to the sensor (I read that somewhere).

Could it be a simple as a bumper swap ?
>> If my model is an HSE 7, like yours, from 2004, i think they always had parking sensor.

What do you guys suggest? (potential issues gathered from other posts that I read here):
- the speakers (not clear how to test them?)
- a wiring harness issue (whatever that is)
- a sensor issue (but would that paralysed everything? and how can you test them?)
- sensor connection behind the bumper (I'll check tomorrow morning)

What baffles me is why remove the button from the instrument bezel, unless it is not the original and has been replaced at some point?

Old 02-23-2018, 08:34 PM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

My SE has them, with that switch. The speaker for it is located in the rear in the small panel, drivers side I think. Easy to replace. Mine starter to go and then just shut off entirely. If I recall not expensive either.
Maybe they thought the system was shot and pulled the switch? What is under the switch blank to the left of the steering wheel?

Old 02-24-2018, 03:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Can't stand the system to begin with...especially if you park in the garage...or back into a parking space everyday...or dealing with ice and snow...or just hate stupid beeping noises. Me, l'd thank the rover-gods for taking its life.

Brian.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:18 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you look behind the sensors in the bumper? They should all be tethered / daisy chained together (and then go up into the right rear taillight with the tow hitch wires iirc). Yours appear almost red in the picture, mine are not. But, if the wires are all there it may just be disconnected.

I agree with the Deputy that it is annoying. It is a very primitive system thus is more annoying than useful. Maybe the PO got in a rear end fender bender and had the bumper replaced? That would make sense why they wouldn’t pay extra for one with the sensors. Especially if they had just backed into something

Old 02-24-2018, 05:43 PM
Drifting

What is under the switch blank to the left of the steering wheel?

So, it seems that this plug could work. Or at least, it used to be connected to something.

If I recall not expensive either
around $20 second hand, so yes, not expensive!

l'd thank the rover-gods for taking its life.
I just like knowing why things were done. I may end up not using it and keep it deactivated. Not that I need it, I come from a city where parallel parking your car is a sport.

Did you look behind the sensors in the bumper?
I will as well as checking what's going on behind the panel in the trunk. It's already dark and I do all my work directly on the curb.

One question:
Looking at the fuse info, park distance control is associated with fuse 15, as is the radio, the clock. If these two work, I can save myself the trouble of changing the fuse, correct?

Old 02-24-2018, 08:32 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I’m pretty sure somone swapped in the bumper with sensors. No button means yours did not come with it.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Drifting

Just checked on edmunds the factory specs for each model, and the HSE 2004 had the parking sensors by default. It's pouring outside right now, but I'll check asap!

I wouldn't be surprised the dealer I bought it from, who got it from the PO, simply put a blank button not to have to deal with it.

Quick Reply: How to check if parking sensor actually installed / working?