Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   How do I correct my driveline angles? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/how-do-i-correct-my-driveline-angles-50195/)

Phoenix_522 06-03-2012 06:30 PM

How do I correct my driveline angles?

I've installed approximately 3.5"-4" of lift on my 02 Disco, and now I need to correct my front driveline angles due to my propshaft u joints being overstressed and causing vibration. My steering is a bit jittery now also. Hard to hold a straight line on the highway. Here's my question... how do I correct these angles and alleviate stress on my u joints, while also restoring control and handling characteristics? Is it as simple as replacing my radius arms with 3 or 6 degree corrected units, or is there more to it than that?
-Matt

ebg18t 06-03-2012 06:48 PM

You will need castor correction arms. the catch I some of them are longer than stock and you will need a longer front shaft. When I talked to RTE he indicated a longer shaft ould be required since their arms are longer and put the font axle back to the stock location. TerraFirma will be a new d2 castor correction arms coming soon.

Disco Mike 06-03-2012 10:08 PM

You can also buy castor correcting replacement bushings and install them on your radius arms.

hilltoppersx 06-04-2012 07:07 AM

also go to a DC rear shaft if you haven't already.

Phoenix_522 06-04-2012 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Disco Mike (Post 323776)
You can also buy castor correcting replacement bushings and install them on your radius arms.

So I've heard...Does anyone know where I could find said bushings?

Phoenix_522 06-04-2012 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx (Post 323814)
also go to a DC rear shaft if you haven't already.

I have converted to a u joint style rear shaft out of a D1, if thats what you mean.

ebg18t 06-04-2012 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Phoenix_522 (Post 323910)
So I've heard...Does anyone know where I could find said bushings?

You can get them fom the UK. They are good for 1-2deg correction according to Extreme 4x4 in the UK. The hardest part is getting them pressed in the perfect orientation.

Phoenix_522 06-04-2012 08:05 PM

A. I feel like I need a little more than 1-2 degrees of correction.
B. Kinda pricey for some bushings.
C. Seems like it would take a certain amount of luck to get them pressed in just right.
I'd say it looks like the replacement arms might still be the better option...as long as I don't need to replace my front driveshaft.

hilltoppersx 06-04-2012 09:12 PM

You will have to get the radius arms. What size tires are you running? Whats angles are you at now? That will determine if you need 3 or 6

Disco Mike 06-05-2012 07:24 AM

Call Justin at Lucky 8, I believe he has the bushings, I know he has the correcting radius arms. RTE also makes a mean corrected radius arm.

Phoenix_522 06-05-2012 06:41 PM

Thanks for the input guys! Good Stuff.

nychaze 10-02-2012 10:17 AM

Figured this was a better thread to follow up on another recent thread https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-enough-53151/

I am trying to figure out what is all need when you hit the 3" lift mark...

I have a 2"OME lift plus a 1" spacer i installed in the rear and another 1" spacer sitting on the shelf to go in the front (probably wait til spring at this point)

So from what i gather, probably a 3-4deg correction will be what i need...has anyone seen these?
Discovery 2 (towards the bottom)

Could i make my own???

Additionally to this i would need a adjustable drag link but what do i need to do in the rear with the watts linkage??

Disco Mike 10-02-2012 12:49 PM

You can go to 3 "s and still be OK, depending on lift tires and your sensitivity to the truck tracking and angle.
An adjustable pan hard rod is going to be necessary to re-center your front diff for a equal turning radius.
Knowing how you are wheeling new Radius arms are going to need to be in your future. I have been fortunate with my truck and my pinion angle.
No correction is needed for the drag link.
Some changes may be needed for the watts linkage if you go much taller.
And you will need longer shocks with another inch of lift, by the way, I know who will buy your used Sport shocks when ready.