Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you raise and lower a power window in a junk yard?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 03:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default How do you raise and lower a power window in a junk yard?

I'm gonna go pull the rear window A frames from a junk yard tomorrow, and I'm wondering how to unbolt the glass from the regulator.

Both rear windows are all the way up. Does that mean I can reach the bolts holding the glass to the regulator?

If it's not a good position to reach the bolts, how do you move the windows?

Old 07-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

From what I can remember Dr M, the bolts are accessible when the windows are up. There are 2 x 10mm nuts to remove so take some tools particularly a 1/4" drive socket set. If you are after the glass you need to remove the A frame window surround first which is also 10mm sockets size and possible a Phillips screw (not sure about the screw though) also take a small pry bar to remove the door card. It all takes about 20 mins tops to remove the glass but be careful not to hit and chip the glass edges.

DIS2009

Old 07-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
I'm gonna go pull the rear window A frames from a junk yard tomorrow, and I'm wondering how to unbolt the glass from the regulator.

Both rear windows are all the way up. Does that mean I can reach the bolts holding the glass to the regulator?

If it's not a good position to reach the bolts, how do you move the windows?
Hey doc, see if they have the front passenger side outside black plastic A-pillar cover for an 03 D2 while your there. I think that's what you call it, runs right down beside the windshield from the roof to the fender and clips on I think.may be called wind screen trim panel, A-post pillar trim finisher or something like that? you know the part. I think they interchange from 99-04
For $25 or less. I see them on ebay for $75 to $90 but that's not the kind I need, I need the $25 kind. If it pops right off and is no trouble for you, let me know and I'll paypal you the $ and shipping. thanks!

Last edited by RicketyTick; 07-24-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:37 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

What you're going to want to do is this.

Remove the door card. It's held in place in the rear by a philips head screw in the bezel behind the door handle and the two philips head screws at the door pull. Pry the door card off and disconnect all the wiring. Then remove the moisture shield. With that done you want to remove the four 8mm bolts that hold the window regulator in place. With the regulator loose you can then lower the window to gain access to the two 8 mm bolts securing the window to the arm of the regulator. You can remove the regulator now, making sure to free up the wiring.

Let the window drop. There are a total of 5 T40 torx bolts you need to remove and one 10 mm bolt on the inside of the door. Two of the T40's are on either side of the door and the last one is down lower on the back side. The 10 mm holds the middle portion of the window frame in place. You will see the hole that is cut out for access to the bolt.

With all the bolts removed you just have to pull the frame up to remove it. Leave the glass behind or take is for a spare. Total time is well under an hour.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

bring a 12v alarm battery with you (like 10 bucks at home cheapo) 2 sets of alligator clamp test leads. you can open and close the window by cutting the harness and feeding the motor directly.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Paul - thanks for the "how to". I'll print it out before I hit the 'yard'. Seems fairly straight forward.

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
Hey doc, see if they have the front passenger side outside black plastic A-pillar cover for an 03 D2 while your there. I think that's what you call it, runs right down beside the windshield from the roof to the fender and clips on I think.may be called wind screen trim panel, A-post pillar trim finisher or something like that? you know the part. I think they interchange from 99-04
For $25 or less. I see them on ebay for $75 to $90 but that's not the kind I need, I need the $25 kind. If it pops right off and is no trouble for you, let me know and I'll paypal you the $ and shipping. thanks!
So you mean the passenger side version of this part?

Name:  JbH4lve.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  65.1 KB

I'll grab it if it's there.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:30 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

You'll need a small punch to remove the plastic rivets that hold the exterior a pillar cover to the inside of the actual a pillar frame. It's tricky removing the pillar from the three metal clips without breaking the plastic, especially with the hood still on the truck. Good luck with getting it off in one piece.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
Paul - thanks for the "how to". I'll print it out before I hit the 'yard'. Seems fairly straight forward.

So you mean the passenger side version of this part?

I'll grab it if it's there.
Yes exactly! May be some screws right inside the door not sure. PM me if they have it and you're able to get it. I hate to bother you with that but, not many salvage yards around me.
thank you so much!

Last edited by RicketyTick; 07-24-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
bring a 12v alarm battery with you (like 10 bucks at home cheapo) 2 sets of alligator clamp test leads. you can open and close the window by cutting the harness and feeding the motor directly.
Also a good idea! Thanks.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
You'll need a small punch to remove the plastic rivets that hold the exterior a pillar cover to the inside of the actual a pillar frame. It's tricky removing the pillar from the three metal clips without breaking the plastic, especially with the hood still on the truck. Good luck with getting it off in one piece.
Thanks for the tip. I don't normally carry a punch so that would have been an issue.

I guess we'll see how it goes.

Quick Reply: How do you raise and lower a power window in a junk yard?