Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you raise and lower a power window in a junk yard?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
Thanks for the tip. I don't normally carry a punch so that would have been an issue.

I guess we'll see how it goes.
ok and if that ozark sun's beaming down and it turns into a job don't put yourself out.
If it's easy grab it.
thanks

Last edited by RicketyTick; 07-24-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
Yes exactly! May be some screws right inside the door not sure. PM me if they have it and you're able to get it. I hate to bother you with that but, not many salvage yards around me.
thank you so much!
I just saw a video on youtube from BA showing how to remove that piece.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by redrover75
I just saw a video on youtube from BA showing how to remove that piece.
I just checked out the video. He made it look not so bad but if I pried on a piece of land river plastic like that it would break for sure.
If any of the the 3 metal clips or rivets don't want to cooperate and you have to grab the rivets with pliers or something to force them out, I still have mine (clips and rivets) on the truck so no problem.
This is for another truck I bought a couple of weeks ago and a-pillar cover was missing when I bought it. I can see where it broke off, part of it is still under the rivets.
thanks and like I said it if turns into a hassle or breaks just leave it no problem.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 07-25-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:15 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Take it from someone who has removed plenty of these plastic a pillar covers, that video is a joke. Yeah, it's that easy to remove the cover if you have no plans of reusing it.

Trying to salvage one is an entiry different matter . That's why people who resell perfect covers with all the plastic mounts undamaged, charge what they do.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Take it from someone who has removed plenty of these plastic a pillar covers, that video is a joke. Yeah, it's that easy to remove the cover if you have no plans of reusing it.

Trying to salvage one is an entiry different matter . That's why people who resell perfect covers with all the plastic mounts undamaged, charge what they do.
I hear ya paul! I didn't know it was that much involved when I asked doc to do that.

I used to buy boat motors from the state to salvage/sell parts and I do know that some parts are worth less than the labor involved to remove them.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

RicketyTick -

I'm going now to the yard, at what level of broken do you still want it? If it looks good but I broke off a clip, do you still want it?

I'll check this on my phone while I'm there.

Paul and everybody else, thanks again for all the help.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
RicketyTick -

I'm going now to the yard, at what level of broken do you still want it? If it looks good but I broke off a clip, do you still want it?

I'll check this on my phone while I'm there.

Paul and everybody else, thanks again for all the help.
yes if it breaks off a piece where the clip mounts and the others are good and looks like it will still stay on the truck just get it. If you have to mess up the rivets grabbing them with pliers, no problem I have mine. just whatever you think. whatever you would do if it were you. I'm not hard to please, mine is completely missing so anywhere is uphill from here and beggars can't be choosy!
thanks and hope it don't get too hot out there and hope your door parts come off without a hitch.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 07-25-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle

hey doc after looking at my other 03 and feeling of the covers I think at least 2 of the clips mounts are broken on one side and maybe 1 on the other side and they still stay on and look fine. I'm not building a show truck just something to kick around in. Anything mechanical I like to fix perfect but something like that..don't matter. I'll probably just tear it off with a tree limb anyway!
thanks

Last edited by RicketyTick; 07-25-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Ok, I'm back.

I pulled the window frames using Paul's instructions. I had them both out in 20 minutes.

Then I pulled the driver's side A frame cover for practice. It pretty much came right off. So I pulled the passenger side, and it was easily twice as hard to get out. I ended breaking the top clip, but otherwise it's good. RicketyTick, I'll pm you the total when I have it packed to ship.

Then I started looking for stuff to grab. I pulled the drivers side rear lock because mine's dragging. I pulled the ABS modulator switch, because I suspect mine has failed. I pulled the rear wiper arm because I'm gonna try to mod it so I can replace the blade. I got the rear cup holder. Tip: straighten a couple of hose clamps and slide them in the ends of the cup holder and it slides right out.

I just realized I forgot to grab the front cup holder, which I planned to get as a spare. I wanted the rear door handle cover (back of the truck, next to spare), but the rear door was stuck closed. I thought about grabbing the ABS modulator itself, but it was $50 and the hose nuts were really stuck. I'm trying to think if there's anything else I should grab. The alternator's gone. I didn't check to see if the starter is still there, but I probly should have grabbed it.

It ended up being $83 total.

Thanks for all the help, fellas!

Old 07-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Cool, glad you were able to get it! no hurry packing and shipping, I have to transfer funds over to paypal may take a day or two to show up in my account. They waste no time taking money out but don't get into any hurry putting funds in.
Doc you just don't know how much I appreciate that! Next time I'm headed to New Orleans or Baton Rouge to a u-pull I'll let you know so if you need anything. I don't go often but am making a list.

Quick Reply: How do you raise and lower a power window in a junk yard?