Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to keep this passion alive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to keep this passion alive?

I am amazed at how some of you have not given up on your vehicles and keep going on.
I have had this 2003 Disco for almost 2 years now, the last 6 mos have given me a lot of issues. Although I am half owner of an auto repair shop, it's like pulling teeth to get the guys to work on this truck. I run the customer service/office side so mechanical type work is not my speciality. Parts is at cost, labor is basically free (I pay the guys by the hour). Unfortunately the comments I get the most is "this vehicle is a POS, it will never be fixed, other shop owners that are not LR enthusiasts say "these motors/trucks are junk and I wouldn't invest any money into it". I am lost as what I am supposed to do. I think it is ridiculous to pay another shop to repair this truck, but I am almost to a point where I may get rid of this and get a Toyota Land Cruiser...I got 2 brothers to get LR Discos as well, but mine being the newest and lowest mileage, I got the most issues. My wife and I love the truck but if I have to sublet repairs, it's just not worth keeping. My latest problem is an engine tick that has gotten worse-see other posts. Just wanting to vent. Thanks

Old 12-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Overlanding

Basically, simply because I have more invested in the truck than anyone will give me for it

My philosophy is this, it looks great, drives great, and is truly unique in the sea of crossovers. My wife and kids are safe in it, and I love the truck....

when it works.

When it breaks, I hate it with a passion, want it on fire, curse land rover engineers for such a nice design so poorly executed, get depressed, etc.

But she sure is pretty even when she's broken, eh?

Old 12-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

The trick is to not drive it.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Mudding

Ditto. Only drive it for short drives. Buy a daily driver. Think of your disco as "the extra vehicle that has 4wd that you take to town here and there." in the mean time... Don't think about it. Just leave it broken. Take a mental vacation from the fact you even have it. The sad thing is... I speak from the heart! lol I don't care how gay it is, how dumb or senseless it is, how it costs me MORE money, or how not worth it it is but I get by my daily punishment of owning this thing by reminding myself that the sooner the engine blows the sooner I WILL shoe horn a 4.3 v6 chevy, chevy trans and the lt230 tc in and beable to drive this thing with peace of mind.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking Might I add...

We've owned our 03' Disco HSE for six years not knowing it falls in the Vin# range for bad oil pumps. It's been mostly a driveway princess since we had a company car so the mileage is low. I've liked Disco's mostly from the look followed by the ability of it to go off road. It's just a fun vehicle. Tall windows, Alpine windows, (2) sunroofs, jump seats.

I've added a few things: 2" Rovertym lift, Vigg blackout decal, 16" rims painted black w/polished lip w/BFG mud terrain tires, rear ladder, woodgrain dashkit, full tint (Florida heat), Borla exhaust, Xenon lights/ballasts, LED interior lights. It's pretty striking from most stock Disco's. I get complimented on it all the time.

I just like the look of it and it never grows old. The square, boxy features and lines of the body are classic. The reputation is well known of the problems with Land Rover and it's lack of reliability. I guess that you have to make a decision- fix it or get rid of it.

Lately the repairs are starting to catch up to it's age. We have 47K miles on it. It has a lot of cracked plastic from sitting year round in the Florida sun: front/rear bumper, both A-pillars, windshield shroud. The roof has begun to deteriorate. Recently had the headliner replaced but it allowed us to fix the broken drain tube and bad sun roof motor. The clearcoat is about done on the roof as four spots have eroded through it showing white/silver. The headlights are about 30% fogged up from condensation on the inside-my fault- never sealed the rear plug/wire when installing the Xenon lights. The four amigo's are on again and it's due for rotors/pads as the rotors are thin and beginning to sing. The passenger window regulator is broken and won't go down and the driver door lock accuator needs to be replaced.

We are looking at spending some money to bring it up to date w/ the low miles always knowing that the motor could go. Crazy stuff. It's kind of a lose/lose situation. The way I look at it- I like the vehicle. We have not spent a lot on repairs in the six years. We like the space for the kids. We will continue to live with it. It's not like it's going to rust.

Good luck on your decision- at least you have perks to help out.

Regards-

Old 12-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Mudding

You guys are all hilarious! Everything you guys say is true and I can relate to it. Maybe a backup car for this would be a good fit. I am like you guys, into the car more than its worth, but still love the way it looks and rides!

Old 12-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Mudding

And being in the oil pump vin range myself, it gets exciting to know we are driving a time bomb haha

Old 12-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

there are loads of people on here that use them as daily drivers. but im with the previous posters my rig is a weekend thing, but man do we get dirty together on the weekends. nasty filthy dirty.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

well honestly your shops are ignorant dicks..

There is nothing especially complicated about this truck. It is a pretty simple vehicle compared to Todays trucks, Trust me there are much stupider designs out there. Such as the VW beetle. Bought my G/F one.. Id rather be under a rock than under the hood of that thing..

Old 12-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Winching

"It's not like it's going to rust"? I wouldn't bank on it. Remember the roof, hood, fire wall, doors except for the skins, frame, and other part I can't remember now are all steel.

Quick Reply: How to keep this passion alive?