Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hub interchangable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 08:53 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hub interchangable?

My rear hub is leaking out past the o ring seal (I replaced) Rear hubs cost much more and I've heard it's because of the longer abs sensor and o-ring. Any insight?

Old 02-28-2017, 11:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Front and rear hubs are interchangeable as long as you switch the sensor. One or the other is longer, I actually thought it was front but very possibly wrong.

That said, if its just an O ring leak then why not just replace the O ring?

Old 02-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Front and rear hubs are interchangeable as long as you switch the sensor. One or the other is longer, I actually thought it was front but very possibly wrong.

That said, if its just an O ring leak then why not just replace the O ring?
X1................

If you jack up the side that's leaking high enough no lube will run out. Then simply remove the hub on the halfshaft complete (The hub will undoubtedly be stuck in fast) then clean up the axle housing carefully with a rotary wire brush, (preferably a brass wire brush) and also the hub groove and fit a new O ring. Smother the O ring and hub with grease so as not to dislodge the O ring and as they famously always say, fitting back is the reverse order of stripping. Don't forget to replace your brake pads if they have been contaminated with oil and also the opposite side.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:24 PM
Overlanding

Thank you for advice! I did replace the o ring and still leaking. You can see it leaks all the way thru hub not just at seal. Front hub doesn't require a seal from my recollection so I'll just swap.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:02 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by mdyates1985
Thank you for advice! I did replace the o ring and still leaking. You can see it leaks all the way thru hub not just at seal. Front hub doesn't require a seal from my recollection so I'll just swap.

Take your time and clean both the hub and axle well even using a brass rotary wire brush in a drill. Don't forget to grease the O ring well or it will defo displace when you push the hub back in, which I reckon is what has already happened. You may have also wrecked the O ring so buy another one before you strip it down.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:16 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

To answer one of the above questions, the front and back hubs are exactly the same, except the wire for the front hub is longer. You can buy a front hub and use it on the back, just zip tie the extra wire into a nice loop out of the way. I did this years and thousands of miles ago with no problems. You can find new hubs online for less than $100.

The following users liked this post:
OffroadFrance (03-01-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 11:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

As stated, the front hubs work in all positions.

The o-ring kept leaking on mine even though it and the hub were new, so I put a thin film of RTV on it. Solved.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:50 PM
Overlanding

Interesting info.. I'll just picked up a new o ring. I'll try and clean mating surface and lube up seal before reinstall. I bet i messed up seal.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:03 AM
Overlanding

Ok, ordered a front hub and installed on rear with seal using existing abs sensor. All good and seals well. Problem is three amigos came on immediately driving... SMH

Old 03-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by mdyates1985
Ok, ordered a front hub and installed on rear with seal using existing abs sensor. All good and seals well. Problem is three amigos came on immediately driving... SMH
what is the current code?

also did you clear the previous codes after the install?

Quick Reply: Hub interchangable?