Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   HUD UG Type gauge - what d'ya reckon. (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/hud-ug-type-gauge-what-dya-reckon-70202/)

OffroadFrance 11-07-2014 12:25 PM

HUD UG Type gauge - what d'ya reckon.

5.5" LED OBD II HUD Vehicle-mounted Head Up Display Over Speeding Warning / Fuel Consumption / Temperature S5

Read the ad and post your comments. Tomtop are reliable and often sell state of the art electronics at affordable prices.

CollieRover 11-07-2014 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance (Post 490028)
5.5" LED OBD II HUD Vehicle-mounted Head Up Display Over Speeding Warning / Fuel Consumption / Temperature S5

Read the ad and post your comments. Tomtop are reliable and often sell state of the art electronics at affordable prices.

It certainly looks cool.

OffroadFrance 11-07-2014 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by CollieRover (Post 490031)
It certainly looks cool.

I just bought one online ................ new toy for more fun :) I'll post whether it's any good when I arrive back from the UK in a couple of weeks and it has arrived here by then. :D

OffroadFrance 02-28-2015 05:11 PM

Follow up:

Similarly to the UG the HUD gives an abundance of data and alarms including fault codes. I have been playing with this for 6 months now and still learning about the nuances of it. It displays speeds in MPH and KPH, revs, water and oil temperature, battery output, alternator output, fuel consumption, tire pressure and temperature (if you have the transponders fitted), over speeding indicator, drowsiness indicator, vehicle failure codes etc, etc.

It has audio visual alarms for hi/low battery outputs, water temperature, oil temperature, over speed, vehicle failure with codes in fact almost too much data. for the meagre cost I'm impressed and the major benefit is it's a HUD display so on motorways and town driving you don't need to look down at gauges. Ironically I thought it would be distracting but not at all as in fact you get used to it as easily as a normal dash display.

Obviously this kit plugs into the OBD2 plug so it's unlikely you can run a UG and the HUD unless there is a splitter available on the market.

This kit certainly gets the thumbs up from me.:)

Alex_M 02-28-2015 05:30 PM

That sounds cool. My phone won't open the link, but it sounds really similar to the setup I have which is the Torque app on my phone (only for Android) and a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner. It gives an insane amount of info too, an do think it costed me a whopping $12 from Amazon plus whatever the app costed. I think it was $5 for the full version, totally worth it. It will even tell you your current and peak Horsepower and Torque at whatever RPM assuming you input a few values correctly.

Richard Moss 03-03-2015 12:27 PM

I have a Speedview unit on my Jeep Grand Cherokee which give a HUD speedo. It works brilliantly and the real joy is that you can calibrate it to read accurately if you fit non-standard tyres or if your speedo is just pathetically inaccurate.

This one shown here looks good and so it may be time for an upgrade.

Richard Moss 03-03-2015 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance (Post 506597)
Obviously this kit plugs into the OBD2 plug so it's unlikely you can run a UG and the HUD unless there is a splitter available on the market.

Like this one from the same supplier?: 16 pin OBD2 OBDII Splitter Extension Cable Male to Dual Female Y Cable

OffroadFrance 03-03-2015 05:34 PM

That's excellent, thanks Richard. It means that you can run a UG simultaneously or the Autel and check the HUD against the Autel live data for accuracy.

DustyLBottoms 03-04-2015 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance (Post 507086)
That's excellent, thanks Richard. It means that you can run a UG simultaneously or the Autel and check the HUD against the Autel live data for accuracy.

Perhaps. Oddly enough I spent the last week researching OBD2 splitters for my own Rover. Depending on what you have plugged into the cables the OBD2 port may not be able to provide enough voltage to power them both, especially if it's a bluetooth device.

ralphobell 03-05-2015 11:35 AM

I tried the splitter with the Ultragauge and it would not work. Just FYI. I'm not sure if both units are fighting for the data or if it is a power issue.