Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   I braked hard and broke something... (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/i-braked-hard-broke-something-40212/)

Jabez 04-23-2011 05:55 PM

I braked hard and broke something...

I had to brake fairly hard for a light change. No wheel lockup or anything but big weight transfer to the front. At the end of the brake there was a "ka-chunk". I pulled away from the light with no problems and no noises. As I came to the next light I let off the gas and I got noise. (it is a rotating sound like like a card in a bicycle wheel but bigger sounding.) I pulled away from the light and sped up, no noise. I let off the gas the flapping noise. Hold the gas constant, no noise. Let off the gas, noise. I went down my road which is kinda rough and it sort of went away. I backed it out of the garage to turn it around to pull off the wheels and when I am in reverse something is clunking when I back up. Forward, nothing.

At first I thought I broke a wheel lug bolt but I didn't. Now I am thinking CV joint. Is there anyway to check it without pulling it out?

Any other ideas regarding what happened would be helpful.

thanks,

photocrimes 04-23-2011 06:01 PM

Possibly a caliper mounting bolt? Check your front propshaft as well.

bikingteacher 04-23-2011 06:04 PM

Have you done your front drive shaft's U-joints yet? If not check NOW! Do a search on this forum on what you need. You may have a cracked one that is just waiting until you are going fast enough so it can take out your transmission!

Jabez 04-23-2011 06:12 PM

thanks for the quick reply

Definitely not the caliper bolt. (I have the wheel off and checked all of those bolts and the knuckle)

I will take a look at the drive shaft.

Disconoobie 04-23-2011 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jabez (Post 241119)
(it is a rotating sound like like a card in a bicycle wheel but bigger sounding.)

Very typical sound of a driveshaft getting ready to bitch slap your tranny...

If you have CDL engage it, drop your driveshaft, and drive around to see if it still makes that sound...visual inspection of ujoints will not always be telling...could be your centering ball too...

Jabez 04-23-2011 09:10 PM

3rd member

I took the drive shaft up to the shop. I did not think it was bad after taking it out and they confirmed that. (They said it was in real good shape actually).

So I put it back in and drove it up to the shop and let them listen to it.

It is coming from the front diff. So it looks like I am into the 3rd member.

buick215 04-23-2011 09:17 PM

If it doesn't have grease fittings on every u-joint I would have it rebuilt even if it looks good. They can go at any time. It might look great today and fail next week or next month.

photocrimes 04-23-2011 09:19 PM

Man, sorry. I was hoping for the cheap easy stuff.

Disco Mike 04-24-2011 08:45 AM

So, has you front shaft been rebuilt/replaced to correct the failure problem, how many grease fittings on it?
Either the u-joints or the slip shaft are on their way out and I wouldn't drive it till it is fixed.
How good is the shop you are using? Yes a 3rd. member can fail, how many miles on it?

Jabez 04-24-2011 10:15 AM

drive shaft

The drive shaft has been rebuilt; it has the grease fittings on each joint so that is good to go there.