Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Duralast acceptable for OEM replacement parts??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:03 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes it is better to spend the extra money and get OEM parts. Air filters, oil filters are ok for aftermarket, but for other things that are hard to get to, stick with OEM to minimize doing the job again and less chance of breakdown. Working at dealers for most of my adult work life and owning my own auto repair shop now for almost 4 years, we have learned you pay for what you get.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by rimasco
The most beautiful Island in all the world.. Staten Island :O) HAHAAAA.. im sorry I forgot to mention the "check engine light " being on.. im so used to it I think I will miss it some day.. the M&S light were poppin on for a bit months back but, at the time I had some voltage issues so I cleaned up some grounds and they shut off.. thanks again for your time.. i will be using your last post as a reference and will keep you posted.

2001 Disco II 114k
As for your first question, depends on what you need, sensors, you are OK, water pumps, brake pads, p/s pumps, alternators, not don't buy them they are junk.
Why have you been driving around for months with the M&S and service engine lights on? I realize money may be tight, but you better start walking and save up some money rather then keep driving it and causing more expensive repairs.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
some of them on the other hand where just reboxed oem parts or from the same manufacturers, youd have to open the box in teh store and check to see whats in them.
x2. Apparently the CPS is Bosch, but I know other things, like u-joints, use the name brand part numbers (made in US Neapco) but are made in china. So buyer beware.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Mudding

Im sorry Mike I must not have been clear.. the M&S light was coming on intermittent a few months ago.. I addressed a volatge issue and it seems to have corrected it (hasnt come on at all).. I have a serpentine belt question for you.. my neighbor(mechanic) showed me the the belt I had on was a little loose and tensioner was maxed out.. he recommended I change it.. we went to autozone and picked up a new belt according to autozones program recommendation.. he compared it to the old one and he said "this one is to long as well" he then proceeded to order it by size.. he went further to tell me that the old belt was routed wrong and did it to what he thought was right.. maybe about 2-4 days and 20 miles later (i dont drive much) the power steering fluid dropped out and i was told by 2 other mechanics the pump was done.. the second mechanic said it appears some "metal flakes" got into the system.. he then went further and said the truck was overheating for some reason and that the gauge was faulty and stopping at half way and he couldnt understand it.. he seemed frustrated.. I took the truck out of there.. my question to you is.. could the belt being routed wrong cause this to happen to the pump and coolant system??? I scoured the net for a 01 Disco 2 (W/O ACE)serpentine diagram and The only one I could find for routing is on B.A "tech tips section" for 99-00.. it looks right?? is it possible that there is a different route on the 01.. could this route be the cause of my problems?? Heres a link to diagram I used.. and it looks the same?? Im gonna triple check.. Discover Discovery Maintenance Tips, Accessories, Parts & More at Roverparts.com

Old 01-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Mudding

oh.. I P/S pump was leaking a little since i got the thing

Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The roverparts.com diagram is correct. This is the same belt layout as my 01 disco.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Mudding

Thank you for the quick response MST!!

Old 01-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Mudding

If you have a CAR QUEST nearby, they have FAE parts at about 1/2 the price of Duralast, as mentioned above, last choice, aka "Duracrap"
PS I'm looking for a coolant flow/direction map for a 2K Disco... There's one around ...somewhere...

Old 01-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Like this one from the RAVE shop manual under cooling systems. NOte that stat top center leg is actually reverse flow. It has sample holes that take the hot coolant to the thermostat. Pix included as well.

Attached Thumbnails I Duralast acceptable for OEM replacement parts??-land%2520rover%2520thermostat%2520005.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coolant flow 1.PDF (679.1 KB, 90 views)
Old 01-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Mudding

thanks again Savannah.. i think im actually starting to understand this HAHAA.. and noted onewingman, thanks

Quick Reply: I Duralast acceptable for OEM replacement parts??