Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I HATE DOING OIL CHANGES! but it only happens a few times a year.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
Sorry for my rant but... I have a college degree and 57 years of life experiences and am pretty mechanical on cars but for the life of me I can't seem to ever get the old oil filter off of my 2003 Disco without hot dirty oil streaming down my arm! Then the oil filter comes loose from the mount, slips out of my hands and flips upside down dumping the rest of the oil. Long ago I even removed and discarded that plastic panel that was there doing nothing that I could see as useful but get in my way. Something about that 4.6 L engine that it holds it's bladder full of oil until you remove the filter and then pees all over you. It also splashes all over the diff and steering linkage. I used a whole can of engine degreaser afterwards just cleaning everything up.

FYIW, today with the colder weather due to hit Houston by the weekend and I was due for an oil change and so I went with the Shell Rotella T6, a WIX 51515 filter and a can of BMG MOA. I switch back to the 15-40 Rotella in May or so, the miles and timeline seems to work for me if I am not doing long road trips.

All I know is since I switched to Shell R oil and the BMG product my engine runs great! No ticks or taps or knocks, just smooth.
If you ever get the pleasure to change a ranger rover sport, you will appreciate the Disco WAY more!

Old 12-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this was a helpful thread, considering I'm about to change my oil today, among other things that Disco Mike recommended. I too live in Houston and it is colder than a witch's titty out there. Luckily I'm taking it to my parents' garage since I live in a loft.

Whoever had the idea of the windshield wiper fluid bottle under the filter: brilliant.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:10 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

OK here is how to do it.
First - get mechanics rubber gloves from your hands! Buy these at autoparts store or even the super market. Like thin surgery gloves.

Drain the oil out of the sump.

Get the oil filter wrench to just loosen the filter.

Loosen it.

Put the oil pan below the filter.

Keep loosening it.
You know oil will spill off.

Now, knowing it will come off eventually, keep turning it until it comes loose.
This is an art in a way.

And as soon as it comes loose, flip it down so that the open end is IN the oil pan.
This is like a split second movement.

Then pull the whole pan out full of oil and filter slowly from under the truck
That's about it.