Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Disco II Turn signal switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Disco II Turn signal switch

I've got an 99 Disco II that the turn signal switch is becoming intermitant.........I ordered a replacement - and want to know if I need to pull the steering whell to replace it....I can't find the intructions in the rave manual........is it easy or do I need to take it to the stealership??? Thanks!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you sure its your switch? I know that may sound odd but i had all kind issues with my turn singles and it was a bad ground. Yours may well be the switch but there is a pretty easy way to tell.

For me, and again if its the switch this wont work.. removed the steering wheel shroud. (3 Philips screws on the underside of the plastic) then unplugges the connector that goes to the switch, there i 3 thin wires going to it, a black one, and a pair or red ones each with a stripe.

for me it was a bad or flaky ground, i tapped into the thin black wire and ran it to a better ground and low and behold it all seemed to work. It only took 20 min and cost nothing so just though i would share.

again if its the switch then this wont work. Sorry i dont know how to replace that.

Dave

Old 04-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by range_time
Are you sure its your switch? I know that may sound odd but i had all kind issues with my turn singles and it was a bad ground. Yours may well be the switch but there is a pretty easy way to tell.

For me, and again if its the switch this wont work.. removed the steering wheel shroud. (3 Philips screws on the underside of the plastic) then unplugges the connector that goes to the switch, there i 3 thin wires going to it, a black one, and a pair or red ones each with a stripe.

for me it was a bad or flaky ground, i tapped into the thin black wire and ran it to a better ground and low and behold it all seemed to work. It only took 20 min and cost nothing so just though i would share.

again if its the switch then this wont work. Sorry i dont know how to replace that.

Dave
When you signaled, did it not work until you moved it a bit? Mine is doing this. It happens more turning left, I'll push the switch down and nothing happens. But I can pull back on it and the blinker always comes on. It would be nice if this only cost 20 minutes...

Old 04-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by MrDisco915
When you signaled, did it not work until you moved it a bit? Mine is doing this. It happens more turning left, I'll push the switch down and nothing happens. But I can pull back on it and the blinker always comes on. It would be nice if this only cost 20 minutes...
when I turn on the right signal - works fine, when I switch it down (left turn) there is a delay before it works(3-5 seconds in the warm)......in the cold - it wont work at all till the cabin warms up (which tells me it is probably the circuit in the switch that is probably faulty....what do you guys think?

Old 04-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it could be the relay. there is one for each side of the (left and right) you could try swapping the relays over and see if the problem goes to the other side. They are under the steering wheel in the fuse box on the left. The owners manual should have them labeled. mine are the 2 smaller yellow Siemens ones

If it turns out to be a relay let me know as i just purchased a whole fuse box and relays when i was trouble shooting my issues.

this is just a suggestion by the way.. i have had a land rover all of 2 weeks so dont put too much stock in my random thoughts.