Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   idler pulleys (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/idler-pulleys-68700/)

5kcstq 09-01-2014 11:18 AM

The part numbers and sources that I listed are all correct for my 2003 DII. Call around and find a WorldPac supplier in your area. Carquest is a common one and normally all indy Euro parts places are as well. Also NAPA can get the parts and replacement bearings, but they're expensive.

Originally Posted by redrover75 (Post 479414)
So, the Dayco pulleys I ordered, after sizing from their app are not correct. The 89006 is no where near fitting anything under the hood.
the 89054 for the tensioner is too small by a few millimeters or so. Did not measure it, but it is definitely smaller.

could the tensior be replaced already with one slightly too large and this is the correct one?

Otherwise I am shipping it all back. There is not an Oreilleys anywhere near me which appears to be the place to get these parts. I have an autozone, advanced auto and pepboys close by.
Does anyone have a suggestion or accurate parts list before I overpay at AB?

I am thinking that I will buy an entire tensioner, that pulley is on there pretty good.

thanks in advance,

Rover_Hokie 09-02-2014 03:00 AM

I removed the pulleys on my '01 D2 and put them in a vice and used a socket to drive the bearing out of the pulley. Then re-installed new bearings using same method. Smoothed out the round outer facing of the pulley with light sanding from some grooves from the vice and then re-installed the pulleys. Also, had to remove and re-install C-clip snap ring, so snap ring pliers are needed as well.

montez27 10-23-2014 09:24 AM

So my idler pulley destroyed the bearing, 160K miles so I wasn't upset. 2000 Land Rover Disco II
What I found was that I would rather replace the bearing as the pulley itself is a super tough solid steel job that I would rather have on my Disco than a pressed shaped pulley.
So the NAPA bearing is a 6203-2RSJ and if you have the right tools it is easy to replace but in a pinch I also got an Autozone piece (231081) that isn't for the Disco but is has the correct size bearing so you can remove it an use it.
Thats what I figured out.

lordmorpheus 10-23-2014 12:37 PM

Yep. The bearings are fairly standard. Federal Mogul 203SS, 203FF, etc. The letters at the end just tell what kind of face the bearing has.

Hellojello74 10-28-2014 02:07 PM

bump, just getting ready to order some, will report back

montez27 10-30-2014 01:38 PM

Different sizes

OK, so my DISCO has the ACE set up and I found out that the idler bearing by the A/C and hydraulic pump is larger. Maybe the 80mm size that people speak of. That number is a 6304 2RS and the smaller one over by the alt is the
6203 2RS.

Now when I puller off the larger idler bearing the number was 6304 RR9D but when you look that up is isn't a sealed bearing like the 2RS is so it is kinda confusing, plus this idler pulley has a snap ring where the smaller one did not.
Im getting an extra of both anyways.

Motorhead1 10-30-2014 03:33 PM

I personally replace the complete pulley assembly...

The "face" of the pulleys develope grooves, or get "sour faced". If you take and grind down a pulley face trying to make it true, all your going to get is premature belt wear and/or failure due to sanding marks..MO