Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   If you were going to buy a 'Keeper' Disco II, what would you get? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/if-you-were-going-buy-keeper-disco-ii-what-would-you-get-75912/)

Mark G 10-06-2015 08:59 PM

If you were going to buy a 'Keeper' Disco II, what would you get?

If you were buying a Disco II for 'fun', keeping it relatively stock, not off-roading, but general usage non daily driver, and were on a limited budget, what year and options would you get? Would you buy one with a 'bad' motor for cheap and rebuild, or get a reasonable low mileage one ~120k and try to preserve it? I can handle things like the APS modulator fix and pretty much most electronic and mechanical repairs myself.

Reason I ask is because wife and I looked at an 03 that was in great shape except the motor lost oil pressure (still ran though ..but knocks). Wondering if it's worth going for and just rebuild the motor ...even though it could get expensive (do the work myself of course). Or, hold off for an 04 still running and pay more.

What would you get? What options would you avoid?

mln01 10-06-2015 09:41 PM

Why do the two of you want a Disco? My first reaction to your question is buy a Toyota.

We bought our Disco 13-1/2 years ago to be my wife's daily driver. After she moved on to another SUV 7-1/2 years ago we kept the DII around to haul Boy Scouts and for our two sons to drive, each in their last two years of high school.

We've kept it because I've grown to love it and I can maintain it myself, but if I knew in 2002 what I know now we would never have bought it. It's one thing for me to hang on to my truck given how long I've had it and what I know about its history and maintenance, but buying a DII now if you don't already know them inside out doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Even with this forum to help. Good luck.

Mark G 10-06-2015 10:12 PM

That's an interesting question. We love our current 98 Disco and have had a lot of great times and trips in it. It's just a 'fun' vehicle for us. Not going to get rid of it, but looking to add a D2 which should handle better and have a nicer interior. I've done lots on our 98 to keep it up including all the usual mechanical work on the front end and fixing all the boogers that it came with. I'm a pretty experienced mechanic and don't mind repairing and maintaining our vehicles. I don't look at it as a hassle, but giving it (them) care and love. Once I got our 98 sorted out, it's been pretty darn reliable.

I currently own a bunch of other 4x4's and classic cars. I've had some Toyotas in the past, but not planning to add one to our collection. What I like about the Disco's are:

1) Driving experience is high - Tall seating position, dual sun roofs which I use all the time, decent radio, overall interior design.
2) Built like a tank - doors close like bank vaults, things don't tend to squeak
3) Fantastic off-road capabilities
4) Straight axle suspension
5) Overall looks badass cool

We do go to the mountains and Moab now and then, but not on extreme trails where we need heavy modifications. I might add a Montero series 2, to restore in the future and have looked at a couple lately, but that would be in addition to the D2, not instead of.

So, it comes down to an 03 or 04.. keep the suggestions coming..

Alex_M 10-06-2015 10:27 PM

Buy the '03 and rebuild. I mean a total rebuild, including new cylinder sleeves, if you want it to be reliable.

If you don't want to off road it then why do you want CDL? Are these mountains and where you go at Moab very rough? If not, you can most likely get by with just working ABS.

A D2 will be less reliable than a D1 no matter what year you get unless you do a lot of serious work to it.

Mark G 10-06-2015 10:52 PM

Thanks. If ya rebuilt the motor and the ABS modulator. Then assuming some other sensors needed fixing and ya fix the drive shafts, what other common problems would an 03 SE7 have? Are the heater electronics and blend doors stable?

Places we often go are trails around Engineer Pass (Silverton/Ouray), and in Moab, like, White Rim Trail, Long Trail, Onion Creek, some others that I can't remember right now. We've done more extreme trails in the past with other rigs, but normally we are looking for more scenic family value these days. Also done some wheeling on certain trails and roads in WY around the Big Horn Mountains. Probably don't need CDL, but yeah, want to add it.

Alex_M 10-06-2015 11:02 PM

I can't remember ever hearing anyone having any troubles. I know the factory blower motor is a little weak, but other than that everything is fine. You'll need all new bushings and shocks by this point. Lucky 8 has a full poly bushing set that I'll be putting on my truck. Probably also springs, but you can measure to be sure one way or the other. If I'm remembering correctly, factory spec is 19" +/-0.5" in the rear and 19.5" +/-0.5" in the front, measured from the center of the rim straight up to the fender flare. Most have sagged by now, but a few (like the ones that were on my truck) were still within spec. I'd probably also do ball joints, track bar, and pittman arm while I was fixing it up.

Alright, cool. Makes sense.

Mark G 10-06-2015 11:07 PM

What 'bushings' fail? Are you talking shock absorber bushings? With a 120k mile rig (or maybe I'll find an 04 with fewer miles), I would expect things like o2 sensors, Cats (maybe), Starter, Alternator, shocks and so on. But the running gear and overall rest of the vehicle is what I'm mainly worried about. I'd almost rather buy one that needed repair (and start good) than buy a Disco for $3k more where the motor was going to crap out in 10k miles.

Alex_M 10-06-2015 11:30 PM

It's not the mileage, it's the age. I'm talking about the watts link and radius arm bushings, but the shock bushings will be too.

O2s would be good to change as well as the MAF at that mileage. Cats are iffy, mine were pretty clogged at that age. Alt is probably fine as well as the starter, but use your own judgement.

toofaroffroad 10-06-2015 11:47 PM

2004 Base model TD5.

erick846 10-06-2015 11:49 PM

I purchased an 03 with a knock, and through my complete and utter ignorance I thought I could fix it cheaply. I ended up paying about $3k to have the sleeves plug-welded, along with a TON of other work. Bought it for $3900 and have put between $6000-$8000 in engine work / reliability / cosmetic.

Although if I were to buy a Keeper Disco, I'd probably drop ~$10-15k on a low-mileage Disco, throw an in-line thermostat faster than you can say slipped piston sleeve, undercoat the bottom and drive it for forever

Alex_M 10-07-2015 12:16 AM

TD5 isn't available in the US

Even if you drop that much on a low mileage Disco, you're still going to end up doing most of the things I listed eventually. Undercoating is definitely a good option, and so is the inline thermostat mod, but the low mileage engine will still end up having head gasket issues as well as oil pump issues. If you're building one for straight up reliability, rebuilding is the best option.

erick846 10-07-2015 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_M (Post 538029)
TD5 isn't available in the US

Even if you drop that much on a low mileage Disco, you're still going to end up doing most of the things I listed eventually. Undercoating is definitely a good option, and so is the inline thermostat mod, but the low mileage engine will still end up having head gasket issues as well as oil pump issues. If you're building one for straight up reliability, rebuilding is the best option.

Fair enough. I think there's some things you're overlooking though!!! You gotta consider the implications of the inline tsat on a low mileage Rover (and an aftermarket fan you should add too) - The entire problem with the head gaskets is a matter of temperature. Once the block overheats even one time, the aluminum warps and the head bolts will lose their elasticity, and you're well on your way to a blown head gasket.

If you prevent this from happening by installing a better tstat on a low mileage Disco, bingo, no need to re-sleeve or pin or whatever you decide to do.

In regards to oil pump issues, just don't buy an 03 and you'll likely be ok. Again, it's temperature related. Fix that with the tstat and the issue is greatly diminished, unless of course you're in the VIN range on an 03.

On top of this - the entire truck has less wear on it. The frame, axles, steering components, everything. So in that respect, you're future-proofed. You wouldn't need to work on any obvious gremlins right off the bat, either, such as the propshaft, which you wouldn't have to do for another couple of years, and I bet the heated seats would even work. You've got a LOT of time for it to fall apart, and even then, the big issues like the propshaft won't cost you more than $150, which is negligible.

drowssap 10-07-2015 05:36 AM

every year cracks the oil pump, not just 03's. the rear frames wrought off, they wear out front diffs

Mark G 10-07-2015 07:26 AM

What do you consider low mileage? Is 60k low enough mileage? What options would you 'avoid'. I like the sound of ACE capabilities, but if it's problematic, maybe best to leave out. Don't need 3rd row seats.

Alex_M 10-07-2015 08:45 AM

Well, you're mostly correct. No, your oil pump won't be fine by avoiding an 03. As Drowssap said, they all do that. Aftermarket fan is also a great option, I've got one off a mid 90s mustang that works awesome (write up in my signature). And yes, the in line stay will help, but the other biggest problem with the head gaskets was also the design. The factory head gaskets were single layer, there was barely any material there and an aftermarket head gasket is the only sure fire way to make sure yours will be good for a long time.

The steering components aren't as much taken out by wear as they are (atleast in my experience) time also. The rubber boots crack and tear after this many years and it allows dirt in and grease out. the frame is more dependent on where the Disco lives and the axles are more dependent on how it was driven and maintained, but there's no great way to tell with the axles/bearings/seals/gears without pulling it apart and you find a better frame by searching farther south where they don't use salt in the winter.

Originally Posted by erick846 (Post 538032)
Fair enough. I think there's some things you're overlooking though!!! You gotta consider the implications of the inline tsat on a low mileage Rover (and an aftermarket fan you should add too) - The entire problem with the head gaskets is a matter of temperature. Once the block overheats even one time, the aluminum warps and the head bolts will lose their elasticity, and you're well on your way to a blown head gasket.

If you prevent this from happening by installing a better tstat on a low mileage Disco, bingo, no need to re-sleeve or pin or whatever you decide to do.

In regards to oil pump issues, just don't buy an 03 and you'll likely be ok. Again, it's temperature related. Fix that with the tstat and the issue is greatly diminished, unless of course you're in the VIN range on an 03.

On top of this - the entire truck has less wear on it. The frame, axles, steering components, everything. So in that respect, you're future-proofed. You wouldn't need to work on any obvious gremlins right off the bat, either, such as the propshaft, which you wouldn't have to do for another couple of years, and I bet the heated seats would even work. You've got a LOT of time for it to fall apart, and even then, the big issues like the propshaft won't cost you more than $150, which is negligible.

ATLDisco 10-07-2015 11:01 AM

FWIW, I was in your shoes and found a fellow rover-head who had bought an 03 (I like the 03/04 look the best) with a blown motor and then installed a Great plains rover longblock.

He did the work himself, and I trusted him after I saw his garage, and found out he was an engineer at the local nuke plant west of phoenix.

I've had some little stuff for sure, T-case, power steering pump, etc, but I think that the 03 with a new motor is a great call.

Just based on design and the law of averages, buying a 120K disco with a still-running motor is a bad idea. they all break. better the devil you know than the one you don't.

I've also got the 7 seater, don't need it as I don't have kids, but a lot of my hunting buddies do and I enjoy running "bird carpool".

To top it off, I have been around mechanic shops since I was in high school, and unless I can get it there and watch the tech do the work, I simply don't use them. The math and the business model are not permissive of quality, careful work.

Its like my bikes. if I wind up on the side of the road, I have only myself to blame. Makes me a better mechanic.....

'03. Blown motor. Build it how you want, love it forever.

georgep 10-07-2015 02:40 PM

I got a couple of them and did not pay a lot for any of them. 2003 145,000 had a KNOCK was a rod bearing, $79.00 and 3 hours that is done and running Paid $1,000.00 for it
2000 208,000, water leak changed hoses and burped the baby and it is happy. Paid $1,350.00 for that one. So can you get a good one cheap, YES but you better have a full shop to keep it happy, Lift is almost a must since trolley jack gets very old QUICK.
Get an Ultra Gauge it you will be happy since it reads the OBDII and warns you when things go bump in the night.
Just think of it as a PET, you know DOG and it has its needs for sure.

earlyrover 10-07-2015 02:54 PM

" you find a better frame by searching farther south where they don't use salt in the winter."
Or, in the northwest, where they too don't use salt in winter. I was born and raised in MT.---lots of snow/ice in winter, but no salt is used; same in Washington, Oregon, California, and other states, I am sure. I now live in Oregon; no salt on roads. All Rovers I have looked under, had no rust to speak of, no matter age, unlike the east, where frames rust out while you drive around. Before you buy, might be good idea to see what state it came from; if salt is used on roads in winter.

erick846 10-07-2015 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mark G (Post 538051)
What do you consider low mileage? Is 60k low enough mileage? What options would you 'avoid'. I like the sound of ACE capabilities, but if it's problematic, maybe best to leave out. Don't need 3rd row seats.

If you can buy one with ACE, go for it 100%. ACE and SLS (self-leveling suspension) are historically very reliable on Discoveries and do not really require any additional maintenance aside from swapping fluids out when they get dirty! (and SLS airbags need to be changed at least once over a full Disco lifetime)

toofaroffroad 10-07-2015 05:57 PM

Alex_M there was no mention of it having to be a North American spec. I'd buy the 04 base model TD5 in a heart Beat. And to be honest I'll probably be buying a TD5 D2 for my next truck. In Canada we already have access to the 98 and 99.

Mark G 10-07-2015 09:37 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I only buy vehicles from the southwest. Non of mine are rusty except this Kia Sportage that's as bad as they get, but super fun to drive! As for a TD5, I've had a few diesel vehicles (not land rovers) and still have a VW TDI which has been a great car BTW. Great fuel economy but it's going to be my last diesel for a while I think. They sound cool, but there are a number of downsides like: dirty, smelly, generally slow acceleration, takes forever to get heat -- and when you do its not that warm. Fuel cost quite a bit more than regular gas (usually) since they changed the tax structure on diesel. For the little I drive Land Rovers, it wouldn't make sense. Usually diesels don't break down very often but when they do and need things like injection pumps fixed or new turbos, that's not cheap either, even if you do your own work. And the new diesels have as many sensors to fail as gas engines. When a problem arises, it can take quite a bit of head scratching to find and resolve the problem (trust me, I've been there). Pretty much erases the fuel savings over a gas vehicle, especially cars which now get pretty decent economy. But, they're not bad on large trucks and construction equipment. I love my TDI every time I put a lot less fuel in the tank. It's funny, a lot of Britts are jealous we get the V8's and we want the TDI's.

OffroadFrance 10-08-2015 04:48 AM

Buy a TD5 DIESEL. 2003/2004 ES7 TD5 stocker, unmessed with, no lift, no silly bits, color in silver or Vienna green (doesn't show the dirt on it) with good history and one or two previous owners, well maintained, low mileage and clean chassis (frame) and use it and forget about it.

Always ensure it's maintaned properly and kept clean both underneath, topside and engine bay. You'll only be changing engine oil and filters x2 every 12-15K miles or once a year+. Change the autobox filter and ATF Dexron 3 every 30K miles, transfer box, front and rear diffs every 30K miles with good synthetic 75-90. It's good to go for at least another 10 years.

There are TD5's with 250K miles and the record is 500K miles. The 250K miles had absolutely nothing done to the engine except servicing.

Or, if you prefer, buy a twinky Toyota with a string of urgent recalls including brakes or even a VW group with failed emissions etc :D

toofaroffroad 10-09-2015 11:33 AM

Hi Mark G, I'm not sure what the point of this thread was. You asked people's opinions on what THEY thought a keeper Disco would be and then your plan was to critique the answers and tell us how we are wrong? i'm confused.

I told you I wanted a TD5 and then you went on to tell us whats wrong with deisel engines. Everyone will have different opinions. I'm just not sure what the point of this was.

erick846 10-09-2015 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad (Post 538308)
Hi Mark G, I'm not sure what the point of this thread was. You asked people's opinions on what THEY thought a keeper Disco would be and then your plan was to critique the answers and tell us how we are wrong? i'm confused.

I told you I wanted a TD5 and then you went on to tell us whats wrong with deisel engines. Everyone will have different opinions. I'm just not sure what the point of this was.

I think he's just looking to gather opinions and trying to form an idea of what he wants based off of everyone elses ideas. This is a Land Rover forum where we drool over cars we like. Not worth the energy to be upset at stuff like that, man

Mark G 10-09-2015 11:10 PM

Yeah, you're probably right to call me out on that. I thought about deleting the diesel comments and probably should have. But your TD5 words were insightful and made me think that 250k plus miles is pretty hard to argue with.

Point of this thread was to gather comments on the particular features you (all) think are good or not so good for the later year Disco II's. I'm keeping my eyes open for one. Thanks,

Alex_M 10-10-2015 08:28 AM

Mark, it sounds like you're in the US which means you won't find a TD5 in the US. None were imported and only a hand full have been converted. If you're outside the US then go for it because it would be the most reliable option.

Yoops Racing 10-10-2015 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted a unique D2 that is why I bought a Trek. Otherwise it would have been a G4 or even a Kalahari. Everything else was too plain for me..

Yes it gets muddy too....

point being...either way you go, plain jane will cost $$$$$$$$$$ to keep running and modded to max will cost $$$$$$$$$$$...get my drift? I would rather have the modded limited production offroader.

Attachment 34925