Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   If you're looking to buy tires soon... (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/if-youre-looking-buy-tires-soon-83048/)

Alex_M 02-19-2017 10:15 AM

If you're looking to buy tires soon...

2 Attachment(s)
I did a lot of research on A/T tires recently. Like, a LOT. Not for my Disco, but for my daily driver Silverado. Initially I compared the traditional BFG KO2, Cooper AT3, General Grabber AT, MasterCraft Courser AT, and maybe a couple others. I had finally decided on the MasterCrafts because if their similarity to the Cooper (which I currently have on my Disco and liked very well), but then ran across a new option.

I found, on Discount Tire, the new Falken Wildpeak AT3W. I was intrigued. At ~$170/ea mounted for a 275/70r18 ($270 for the BFG) they were a great price, were a great looking tire, and had a 50k or 55k mile warranty (can't remember which). I was intrigued. I set out to do some research. I couldn't find a ton of info, but what I could find was giving these tires rave review especially compared to their predecessor. After some consideration, I took the dive. I'm glad I did. These have been the best set of tires I've ever had. They have the deepest treads of any AT on the market. That said, the road noise is almost nonexistent. I compared them to my buddys silverado with the KO2 and his were way louder. They're also snow rated. I've had them in 4" standing snow on the interstate with a loaded down trailer behind me in the dark. They performed spectacularly. I've also had them in deep mud (water up to the front bumper) in RWD and they took it like a champ. Same day I went through standing water on the road at 55mph. Would have hydroplane with the Bridgestones I had before but these didn't.

I've bad them in a lot of rough conditions in their early life. Gravel strip jobs, they didn't lose any chunks. Regular road conditions but aggressive cornering where they stick like glue. Steep sections of trail where they stop and go on command. All in all, I have only one complaint about this tire. They are a little heavy compared to other offerings. That said, I definitely will be buying these tires again and I would recommend them to anyone looking to buy a set of AT tires.

I'll post up a couple of pictures in a bit.

Edit: Pictures

Attachment 56054

Attachment 56055

Friday Night Disco 02-19-2017 10:22 AM

Alex - I would say check TireRack.com as well and compare the prices and shipping cost. Tire Rack also has customer reviews.

KingKoopa 02-19-2017 10:23 AM

I had settled on the wildpeak as well until I realized I couldn't find them in a non LT rating, which made them heavier than I wanted for an already heavy 18" wheel and tire combo.

The reviews are great though like you said. If anyone was in the market for new tires they are probably the all terrains to buy right now. Similar in intent to the KO2 but better in all areas

Twix 02-19-2017 11:18 AM

$270 for KO2s? That's a rip off. I've seen them for ~$190 USD from Tire Rack. I barely pay $270 for them in Canada

LR03NJ 02-19-2017 12:57 PM

I will still get Duratrac. My 275/65-18 got over 80k miles on them. Need to replace them soon tho

Frank4 02-19-2017 02:27 PM

I paid $200 each for my BFG A/T's shipped on Amazon. 275/70-18

Jeff Blake 02-19-2017 02:51 PM

Thanks for the tip. 235/85r16 are only about $~135

Iv'e found tiresize.com to be a great help

80's old school 02-19-2017 06:25 PM

I just bought those!

3 Attachment(s)
I just bought the Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires for my Disco. 265/60/18

They work fine with stock ride height as well as lifted. I just bought and installed a 2" Terrafirma lift kit.

Tires are dead quiet on the street and perform like heaven off-road. I took my Disco to Willow Creek Jeep Trail in SoCal last weekend. I went on some of the difficult trails and they performed great.

First two pictures are the new tires with 2" lift.

Last picture is the new tires with stock ride height.

Alex_M 02-20-2017 08:21 AM

You all are right, I mis-remembered the price. The BFGs were $245 for me in the 275/70r18 10-ply. I got them mixed up with the Duratrac I believe.

Still, they're a damn sight more expensive.

Clay Stanley 02-20-2017 06:53 PM

Im actually getting a set of wildpeaks also lol, did you guys get the LT tires? everyone is telling me I have to get LT tires.