Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   I'm in brake hell (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/im-brake-hell-34947/)

IDAHO 10-14-2010 04:34 PM

I'm in brake hell

So the three amigos showed up about a month and a half ago. Soon after I noticed the right front wheel gaining excessive brake dust. I took it to schwab and they found the right front was down to about 10% while all others were at about 30%. I ordered new brakes, pads and rotors from Rovers North. Installed the pads and rotors and noticed that on the problem brake, the boot on the caliper pin was pulled back and the pin was dried out. I thought maybe it had not been releasing, and installed new pins with plenty of white lithium grease.

Have been driving around for a couple days and the right front is worse than ever. It has always squealed a little bit, but now it is screaming. Tonnes(get it? metric?) of brake dust, and it pulls hard to the right when I brake hard.

My question: Is this a problem that could be caused by the ABS modulator being out, or is this a caliper issue? And would a bad caliper warrant a visit from the three amigos? Also, what about bleeding the brakes? Any possibility this could be causing problems with that caliper? And would that trip the ABS sensor?

Also, the back door won't open.... For a while it just wouldn't open from the outside, but you could climb in back and open it. But now it won't open at all. I imagine I need to take the panel off the inside and poke around, but if anyone has some experience please give me a shout.

DiscoWest 10-14-2010 11:12 PM

It sounds like a classic caliper failure. The reason there is so much dust and it is pulling is because it is likely never fully releasing. Ill bet your caliper and wheel are blazing hot after a short drive as well but its not safe to drive it like that for any distance.

IDAHO 10-18-2010 01:15 AM

3 Years in....my conclusion.

Obviously I have the reputation as a "hater". Thus the lack of help. That's okay though. I do have some observations to make however. I have come to the conclusion that there are only two possible reasons that someone would be a "Land rover enthusiast".

A. They have no children to provide them the anguish and anxiety that comes with owning a Disco. As you can clearly see by scanning the threads posted on this site, well over 90% of them are "how do I fix this..." in nature. Nothing in your life should cause as much heart ache and anguish as these vehicles do....with the exception of your children. Therefore, if one does not have children, they could own a Disco to fill this void.

B. They are sadomasochists. These people love the anguish and heart ache. They also love dispensing this despair on others. I would even go as far as saying they hate themselves, or are possibly suffering some kind of guilt complex and are punishing themselves through the ownership of fore mentioned vehicle.

I will sell this garbage can on wheels, or stage some kind of insurance fraud scenario. The line about "the best engineered" vehicle ever is a fraud. It is a military vehicle and should remain so. The only way to keep up with the ridiculous maintenance needs and outrageous parts costs are if you were a government entity with no regard what so ever to cost. The fact that these "great engineers" could not engineer parts with adequate tolerance clearly displays over engineering, which is equal to(or worse than) poor engineering.

So thanks all. I will be purchasing a Landcruiser in the future. In the mean time, I will buy a mule and ride it to and from work. I will have to feed and water it three times a day, harness it 4 different times throughout the day, and pick up its **** off the road.....but this will be cheaper and less maintenance than owning a land rover.

Good luck.
Idaho

cptshanman 10-18-2010 06:58 AM

Concur with caliper assessment. I'd try to free it up before getting another though...

...I have the same issue with the rear door and haven't figured it out...

BTW, Idaho's post is awesome. But maybe there is a #3...those who gain pleasure from keeping something alive...let's call it the "Clara Barton's Land Rover" syndrome...

My three amigos keep me company every day on the road...I've bonded with them. It's easier...

hilltoppersx 10-18-2010 08:20 AM

if you honestly want help then relax. most of us are not on the forum at the weekends. if you are seriously getting rid of the truck then good luck with the mule....

if you want honest help then go get a set of brakes and calipers put on before you hurt and/or kill yourself or someone else.. and get your abs codes read and come back to us so we can help figure out exactly what is wrong with your truck. It would alsp help if you describe what you drive obviously a D2 but year and mileage is not listed anywhere in your posts. have you jacked up the truck and seen if there was any play top to bottom or left to right in the front tires? have you tried a panic stop is the brake pedal pulsating? have you used the HDC is it operating correctly? ......

Disco Mike 10-18-2010 08:29 AM

What brand of brake pads did you install? Did you check the pistons to make sure your caliper wasn't hanging up?
This is a common issue, even on a Toyota so take a deep breath and as already mentioned, relax. You should have asked for help from the beginning and this wouldn't be an issue for you today.

IDAHO 10-18-2010 12:35 PM

Still pretty funny. While I appreciate you reaching out in an attempt to help me fix this, your responses are exactly what I'm talking about. "Buy new calipers"....? I own an 02 Disco with 100k miles. Should I really have to replace the calipers at this point? Should my back door be stuck shut? Should my rear seat refuse to lock into place, folding forward every time I hit the brakes? Should my arm rests collapse and crush the chair adjustment mechanisms? Should my ABS, Downhill decent control and traction control not work at completely random times for no reason what so ever? Should anti-freeze be mysteriously vanishing? Should my horn button fly out of place and hit me in the chest while I'm driving? Should my cupholder collapse in a heap? Just about every air filter snap is busted off.

Seriously guys. This is a 40 thousand dollar vehicle brand new off the lot. If you were to pay 40k on a vehicle(which of course none of you probably did) wouldn't you expect a little more? Weren't you a little suspicious when the vehicle that costs 40k off the lot brand new is being sold for about 10k 3 or 4 years later?

I took your guys' advice and used full synthetic oil, spark plugs from outer space, 120 dollar spark plug wires, a re-useable air filter and nothing but premium gas. I will admit that the vehicle runs good. But for the amount of money spent on maintenance and repair I expect a little more. I don't like crawling into a vehicle in which I have to use a paperclip to adjust the seat. I have to set a drink next to the gear shift, and I have to watch my kids lean forward when I push on the brakes because the seat is trying to fold them in half. My wife can't take anyone shopping with her.....because the GODDAMN BACK DOOR WON'T OPEN.

So yea, I'll go pay the dealer 130 dollars to scan my abs codes. Then I will order calipers online for 160 bucks a piece. Order some ceramic pads or some ridiculous ****. It's not even my car. I don't know why I get so worked up over it. Oh.....I remember now. Because it consumes all my time.

agthird 10-18-2010 01:26 PM

lol......

yloDiscoII 10-18-2010 01:49 PM

Wow:D I guess I fall into the "A" category since no kids yet, but after reading that description, maybe I consider seeing a psychiatrist...

Sounds like you bought a "dud" IDAHO, that really sucks, and I'm sorry about your misfortune. But Les Schwab really? Take it to a shop that knows what they are looking at when they pull off your wheels.

BTW, my Land Cruiser has been in the shop for the last 2 weeks for a "simple" brake issue, they are by no means "invincible."

hilltoppersx 10-18-2010 02:42 PM

im no sure where you ordered your space spark plugs from but shipping must have been insane on those... i never said go to the dealer for anything. especially to blow $130 in diagnostics. You can nearly buy a reader yourself for that much. There are plenty of people on here willing to help out, rent out equipment and such. I don't know whose advice you took that told you to put a re-usable air filter in but that is the wrong advice. paper filters go in your disco. any re-usable oiled filter will either kill your MAF sensor if over-oiled or your engine if under-oiled for a long time. The horn button assembly is your biggest expense. It's $113 new from the dealer or you can try and get a used one out of an 03 or an 04 with less wear and tear. 2 torx bolts and 20 mins of your time for that simple repair. i don't know why you are using a paperlclip to adjust your seats. what are you missing? are the covers to the switches missing? you can get the cupholders that screw to the center console for $59 off AB they don't crumble. If you paid $10k for it you got screwed. you can get an 04' for that much.