Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   independent mechanic needed - Bucks Cty, PA (New Hope area) (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/independent-mechanic-needed-bucks-cty-pa-new-hope-area-53614/)

Marni 10-19-2012 10:07 AM

independent mechanic needed - Bucks Cty, PA (New Hope area)

OK, there are a few probs with my 2004 Disco that I cannot diagnose, never mind attempt to repair.

Is anyone an Indy mechanic near me? Or maybe you know of one? Right now, my Disco is it.... after 2 rounds of unsuccessful chemo, I started with different drugs, and stopped working. So, I have to keep this on the road and...dare I say....reliable. I've considered selling it, but with the weather we see, I'm not going to find anything better in the same price range.

Right now, I have what sounds like an exhaust leak, but I can't find one, and a minor shimmy as I increase speed. I gather it may be drive shaft/greasable u joint issue...but that's all Greek to me, so I need some real help.

Thanks all - can't tell you how many times this forum has helped me. And, at another time in better weather, I may have continued on trying a DIY. Just not up to it right now, and can't risk accidentally putting it out of commission in my efforts :-)

Marni

hilltoppersx 10-19-2012 11:12 AM

you're best option is in Easton because its closest

Integrated Automotive Services

otherwise the land rover genius in Elizabethtown

Land Rover, Range Rover, Rover Repair | Elizabethtown, PA

Andy2Rover 10-19-2012 11:18 AM

These guys are in Philly but are very good, only do Land Rover work....

Skytop .....215-426-2748

JoeFromPA 10-19-2012 11:53 AM

Marni,

If you've got the tools and simply need a hand with anything, let me know in the next day or so and maybe we can schedule somethin gin a few weeks. I'm new to rover, but your stuff sounds straightforward (driveshaft and minor exhaust leak).

Alternatively, I have a non-rover-specific Indy near Exton, PA - a bit of a hike for you. He charges $50 an hour and would be very generous to someone in your situation. He's worked on Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, and restored old land cruisers. He works on anything and knows his limits - your needs are well within his capability. Tony VanReymersdal - 610-431-1159. Tell him "Joey Baby" referred you from online :)

Bring your own parts to him though, else he'll source through whatever's easiest for him.

Marni 10-19-2012 12:36 PM

thanks all

Appreciate the help.

Joe, I'm usually pretty brave diving into at least an attempt at figuring out what's wrong, and then debating whether or not to attempt the fix. Where are you located? I'm in the nowhere land between New Hope and Doylestown, sometimes called Carversville, Gardenville, The Village of Wismer.... I may not be a great mechanic, but am a great helper. I'd be happy to pay you for your time to diagnose and if you are willing, fix my truck, that is, if combined we have the right tools. I have a decent tool box, some "rover specific", but that still may not be enough.... then we'll dump it in your Sexton friends hands...or one of the other places recommended.

Until last month, I drove to Philly daily (52 miles each way), so anything under 60 miles is local in my mind. :-)

hilltoppersx 10-19-2012 12:54 PM

FYI I.A.S. in Easton had my Range Rover before i bought it and they do good work and Trevor at British 4x4 in Elizabethtown is literally a rover god.

Rovin4life 10-19-2012 01:56 PM

exhaust leak could be the secondary air valves staying open or a possible bad pump or slight leak in the cat from a bad stud. swap the valves to see if it moves to the other side. Then if not isolate the noise. The shimmy could be tires or driveshaft. Depends on speed.

jeffh 10-19-2012 02:06 PM

Rover Repairs
301 Macdade Boulevard
Colingdale,PA 19023
484-494-9133

Frank is the owner.. was lead mechanic at West Chester Rover until he opened his own shop. Master Mechanic certified thru Land Rover. good pricing.

coors 10-19-2012 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by jeffh (Post 351960)
Rover Repairs
301 Macdade Boulevard
Colingdale,PA 19023
484-494-9133

Frank is the owner.. was lead mechanic at West Chester Rover until he opened his own shop. Master Mechanic certified thru Land Rover. good pricing.

I been using Frank for years. He had my 06 Range Rover Supercharged and my DII. Great honest guy.

Marni 02-25-2013 10:13 PM

Just wanted to give you all an update and a thank you. My health went down hill for a while, so much so I've all but stopped working. While that's a great help to my health, not so great for the bank account, so I wasn't able to get work done to my Disco. Until now. I am bringing my Disco to "Joey Baby"s pal in Exton Thursday morning. He's closest, has a great hourly rate, and there's a mall nearby so he can drop me there & I can read there or window shop. He's going to diagnose the noise that sounds like an exhaust leak, and also install the Bilstein steering damper & shocks I picked up for a steal :-) Hoping the ugly noise is nothing too serious/ costly.

Thanks again all!