Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Indy-Shop says that I need HEADGASKETS! (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/indy-shop-says-i-need-headgaskets-76322/)

chubbs878 11-03-2015 12:42 PM

Indy-Shop says that I need HEADGASKETS!

Whaatttt?? My engine has not leaked a drop of coolant, has been running at 200 degrees for the past few months. All of a sudden I had a coolant leak on the ground at the back of the engine, so I had the shop come pick it up to take a look as it was wet and raining here; not crawling underneath there before work.

head gaskets? without a warning, and all of a sudden?? I didn't know that was possible. does this sound suspicious and should I have them point this out to me? temps constant, oil good, no coolant loss and then one day, bam

99Discovery 11-03-2015 12:58 PM

How have you been measuring temps? Do you have an ultragauge?

If you are using the stock gauge, then it's wrong. My Disco was still in the middle when it was nearing 220F, which is waaaay to hot for the stock gaskets (if you want them to last).

In fact, my gaskets were done by the Previous Owner. The cause was a stuck thermostat. Swapped it for a 180F TD-5, and I've never been above 205F in extreme situations, generally she's happy at 188-190F.

Did they do an engine pressure test? Or just looked at it and said "gaskets"?

There seem to be multiple places the D2 could leak coolant..

Heck, it's a British Car, were doesn't it leak?

chubbs878 11-03-2015 01:31 PM

heck no I'm not using the stock gauge. jeeze...

chubbs878 11-03-2015 01:33 PM

so since most of the conversation revolved around the stock temp gauge, can anyone tell me if its possible for a head gasket to let go without warning like this? truck runs damn good.. I don't get it. I've done everything needed to avoid this situation and of course, it happens to me effin regardless. effin can't have ANYTHING!

ZGPhoto 11-03-2015 01:38 PM

....well it's not as though you'd see a middle ground. The head gaskets are either in tact, or not.

cappedup 11-03-2015 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by chubbs878 (Post 541474)
so since most of the conversation revolved around the stock temp gauge, can anyone tell me if its possible for a head gasket to let go without warning like this? truck runs damn good.. I don't get it. I've done everything needed to avoid this situation and of course, it happens to me effin regardless. effin can't have ANYTHING!

Weren't you having a coolant leak? That's warming. So much warning, people have driven with a slight coolant leak (head gasket failure) for quite a while.

ArmyRover 11-03-2015 02:02 PM

Yes they can go suddenly, yes they can do it with little warning.

chubbs878 11-03-2015 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by cappedup (Post 541476)
Weren't you having a coolant leak? That's warming. So much warning, people have driven with a slight coolant leak (head gasket failure) for quite a while.

uh no, I had a coolant leak one day, yesterday, and supposedly that is the head gasket

chubbs878 11-03-2015 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by cappedup (Post 541476)

dude you are thinking of the wrong person. I have never driven any vehicle even one day on a coolant leak. as a matter of fact, when I saw that puddle yesterday at 6AM, which wasn't there Sunday, I called the shop up the street when they opened and told them to come pick the junk up. don't get it twisted, I'm in a ****ty mood.

chubbs878 11-03-2015 02:14 PM

thanks ArmyRover, all I needed to know.