Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intense leak (spray) of transmission fluid from D2

Old 12-10-2018, 01:30 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pointing at the end of the hose with a green pen, its dripping on top of the oil filter and surronding areas

this is the fluid coming out very watery, i poured some dextron 3 into this (after this photo) and the 2 fluids where hesitant to mix together

view of the hose from up top (leak not visible)

Last edited by RubyRoverD2; 12-10-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:41 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Yeah, that's coolant. Keep poking around until you find the source of the leak.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:54 PM
Drifting
Wink

Originally Posted by Red5
Yeah, that's coolant. Keep poking around until you find the source of the leak.
it seems its coming from where the hose and the water pump meet, should I just replace the lower hose? or is it possible the actual water pump or something is leaking

Old 12-10-2018, 02:00 PM
TReK
Received 758 Likes on 626 Posts

it's certainly possible that the water pump is leaking, but it would be a lot cheaper and easier to fix if it was just a hose attachment at that point that was causing the problem. try to identify the exact issue first.
this is a great opportunity to dump the orange coolant out of your system and replace it with a green one. be sure to flush in between of course.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:05 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

And it looks like a pretty old crusty brown (formerly white) stock thermostat attached to the other end of that hose. It would also be a fine time to upgrade that to either the Britpart grey 180 degree unit or the black 180 from Lucky 8. It would be odd but possible that the hose clamp has failed and that is your entire issue. Leaks of that magnitude are usually either the hose/clamp or the front cover gasket which seems to be very common.

You may need to clean that whole area off and do a cooling system pressure test if you can't tell if it is just the hose clamp. Bottom line your cooling system needs to be sorted and then properly re-bled.

Last edited by Dave03S; 12-10-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Drifting

alright, replace the hose and thermostat and get back to you guys?? the coolant is pretty new as i had a complete fluid change last year while they where changing my transmission, if i need to change it to a green one what brand/type do i get, and how do i flush it with no drain screw at the bottom of the radiator? drain plug on water pump?

Old 12-10-2018, 02:41 PM
TReK

definitely replace the thermostat, but don't change the hoses until you've determined the actual source of the leak. if it's the water pump gasket then replacing hoses isn't going to help anything.

i drain the coolant by pulling the lower hose off the radiator, then flush with plain water using a garden hose in there as well as any other places where i can pull off a hose and force water through. eventually the system will run clear and then you can drain again and start filling with peak or some other name-brand green coolant. i haven't had any problem with salting using tap water but if you live somewhere with really hard water you might run into trouble.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:54 PM
Drifting
Originally Posted by mollusc
definitely replace the thermostat, but don't change the hoses until you've determined the actual source of the leak. if it's the water pump gasket then replacing hoses isn't going to help anything.

i drain the coolant by pulling the lower hose off the radiator, then flush with plain water using a garden hose in there as well as any other places where i can pull off a hose and force water through. eventually the system will run clear and then you can drain again and start filling with peak or some other name-brand green coolant. i haven't had any problem with salting using tap water but if you live somewhere with really hard water you might run into trouble.
ok, i live in colorado but i always buy gallons of distilled water to fill, i let it warm up a bit again so there was pressure in the system, it is dripping from the bottom of the end of hose, and when i squeeze or move the hose it intensifies the amount of fluid coming out, is it hard to tell the leak difference between the hose and water pump? because it looks like it is coming from the hose

Old 12-10-2018, 02:55 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

First step is to clean that mess up on the front of your engine. Then you can fill the system with water and run it to find the leak(s). If you can't spot the leak that way, then you can rent a pressure tester at any auto parts store.
Once you having it running be careful to not overheat. as long as you are prepared to keep adding water you will be ok for running the engine long enough to diagnose where the leak is.

Amazon Amazon
or:
https://www.lucky8llc.com/products/low-temp-thermostat

Last edited by Dave03S; 12-10-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:26 PM
TReK

i don't recall how that hose connects to the water pump cover. if it's a standard clamp on a hose over a spigot, try examining the hose for splits or checking to see if the clamp is loose. sometimes doing something as simple as cutting off the degraded end of the hose and re-clamping it will fix the problem. if that does fix it, it confirms that the leak is not from the water pump gasket and at that point i would recommend replacing the hose because it may have deteriorated to the point where it could burst or split again in another place.

The following users liked this post:
RubyRoverD2 (12-10-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: intense leak (spray) of transmission fluid from D2