Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent feeling PS

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Intermittent feeling PS

Yesterday my PS starting feeling intermittent. It's hard to describe, but sometimes it feels assisted while others it doesn't. The first instance that you turn the wheel it feels unassisted then it quickly assist and goes back and forth between this. There are no leaks, no whines from the PS box, and the belt is firmly in place. I did add a new steering stabilizer a couple months ago that firmed up the steering, but it always felt consistent. The tie rod boots are split, and I can twist the steering stabilizer back and forth about a 1/5 to a 1/4 turn. Is that it, or something else?

Old 05-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I am not a real expert of PS, but guessing may be air in the PS fluid system? Sounds like the same kind of delay you can get in the brakes when air in the system. Replacing the PS fluid would be a good idea, especially if it has not been done for 2 yrs or more. There is a bleed screw on top of the pump like a bleed screw on the brakes under a little rubber boot that crumbled when I tried to remove mine. Put a hose on it to direct the fluid down to a large pan, or just let it drip down. Careful as it will shoot up like a water fountain if you open the bleed screw very far. Ask me how I know. Just fill with PS as you go until you see new fluid draining. There are more detailed notes on the forum in regard to having ignition on and working steering back and forth. You need to keep the PS reservoir from going empty while doing this. You would probably want to put a can of Lucas PS conditioner in as well, so leave room for that or put it in as your first PS fluid. I do not recall how much it takes. Also, not sure on fluid. Some folks use ATF, I used the GM cold weather PS fluid that matched the specs of the LR fluid that is called for. I just found it on Amazon if two sizes 16 & 32 oz. The 32 oz is only a couple more dollars, so I would go that route. I bought mine at a GM dealer. http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-123...N%3DB000QIRZZE

Just my 2 cents here! Have do good weekend!

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 05-29-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

@Rover_Hokie - How do you know?

Old 05-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Tony, did the p/s system get better after the change, if not, your pump is on the way out.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry for the confusion. I did not have any problem with my PS system, just doing a complete replacement, since it had never been done to my knowledge. This was just me speculating as to what may cause this problem, it may not be the solution as I stated earlier, just throwing it out. Mike would definitely know more about details of the PS that I do.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start cheap...PB Blaster all the joints on the steering arm from the firewall and take a soft brass brush to them... when they get cruddy you "feel" like the power steering systme as being intermitten... plus its cheap and quick way to see if its not just gunk buildup and not somethign more serious... then id go to look at the fluid condition and level, then look for leaks then to the belt and pullies etc.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie
Sorry for the confusion. I did not have any problem with my PS system, just doing a complete replacement, since it had never been done to my knowledge. This was just me speculating as to what may cause this problem, it may not be the solution as I stated earlier, just throwing it out. Mike would definitely know more about details of the PS that I do.
Sorry Tony, I was actually making a joke because in your previous post you had said, "Ask me how I know".

So, I asked.

People often mistake my dry sense of humor...

Old 05-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I flushed the system. I needed to anyway since I haven't done it since I bought it. That makes the last fluid left I needed to change. I replaced it with Prestone PS fluid and a bottle of Lucas PS conditioner. The old fluid was red, so the PO or whoever worked on it last used ATF. Hopefully, that didn't cause any lasting damage. It now feels better, but not perfect. Will probably grease all the steering components at some point too. Who knows how much longer it lasts, but glad it at least has new and correct fluid in it.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MC04DII
Well, I flushed the system. I needed to anyway since I haven't done it since I bought it. That makes the last fluid left I needed to change. I replaced it with Prestone PS fluid and a bottle of Lucas PS conditioner. The old fluid was red, so the PO or whoever worked on it last used ATF. Hopefully, that didn't cause any lasting damage. It now feels better, but not perfect. Will probably grease all the steering components at some point too. Who knows how much longer it lasts, but glad it at least has new and correct fluid in it.
ATF is just fine, won't cause you any problems.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine acted wonky like this, soon after on my way home from work the pump gave out.