Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intro post: new '01 SE7

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intro post: new '01 SE7

Greetings. Is it customary to do an intro post? Oh well, here goes.

Just purchased an '01 DII SE7 for winter use while my E39 M5 goes into hibernation. Okay, it has snows on it, so it'll come out on less slushy days, but still, I need something bigger for the growing family.

Picked up this craigslist special this past weekend and have been getting to know it and the forums a bit.

Coolant (orange, ugh) a bit low, but still in the reservoir. Newish plugs, new driveshaft and all front bushings, runs like a top. SES on due to codes, which I pulled with my new ultra gauge and will monitor going forward. PO noted needing a knock sensor, logged codes verify. I'll get 91+ in it and see how she does.

Ultra Gauge shows rock solid 197F and below in mixed driving. She goes into Overlander Boston on Thursday for full checkup, coolant flush, oil change, and knock sensor.

Things I need help with:
* Radio dead: fuse 16 is intact - my next move is to pull the head unit and check for power. I'm happy to replace with aftermarket.
* Heat is a little weak - I'm hoping forceful flush of coolant will clear any debris by the matrix/heater core
* Rear jump seats are down (deployed) - I can't get them to fold up. One I can get it to unlock from the floor, but it won't articulate the second fold. The other I can't unlock from the floor. Help! This thing needs to haul a lot of crap!

Thanks! Hope to contribute soon.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Winching

Do you have an owners manual, or a copy of the RAVE manual. The 3rd row seats are kind of a "Rube Goldberg" concept (IMO) and I find the operation counter intuitive. There may be a broken cable but I've always had trouble with them when I had to work on one. Oh, and there is a "New Member Into" section of this forum (the main forum, not the DII section)

Old 12-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also be sure to check DiscoMike's sticky on 60k maintenance. You'll want to make sure you go through the checklist. Sounds like you've already started.

Also, I've found with my third row seats, the two rods on the backs tend to be finicky and you have to get them in just the right spot to get the seats to budge.

Also, welcome to the forum.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

If the seats are down just unbolt them and store em in the attic. They're useless anyway.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking Rig! May I ask how many miles and what price did you pay?

Old 12-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bkreutz
Do you have an owners manual, or a copy of the RAVE manual. The 3rd row seats are kind of a "Rube Goldberg" concept (IMO) and I find the operation counter intuitive. There may be a broken cable but I've always had trouble with them when I had to work on one. Oh, and there is a "New Member Into" section of this forum (the main forum, not the DII section)
Rave downloaded, and I'll get Overlander to look at the seats. I'm not sure what is going on.

Originally Posted by bballjames
Also be sure to check DiscoMike's sticky on 60k maintenance. You'll want to make sure you go through the checklist. Sounds like you've already started.

Also, I've found with my third row seats, the two rods on the backs tend to be finicky and you have to get them in just the right spot to get the seats to budge.
DiscoMike's post was the first place I went. Overlander is going to be helping me out getting through a list while not breaking the budget.

Originally Posted by coors
If the seats are down just unbolt them and store em in the attic. They're useless anyway.
Gotta have 'em when the parents come to town.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Drifting

Miles: 115k
Price: Decent. PM sent.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on the purchase. I recently bought an 02, same color, as a winter/offroad truck so I'm not using my w211 E55 AMG all winter again.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by spazmoid
Congrats on the purchase. I recently bought an 02, same color, as a winter/offroad truck so I'm not using my w211 E55 AMG all winter again.
Mmmmm. E55. Almost bought one this summer. Almost. Then I realized another high-hp RWD car in Boston is not what I needed .

Old 12-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're in great hands at Overlander Boston.

Quick Reply: Intro post: new '01 SE7