Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   iPad dash in a Discovery? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/ipad-dash-discovery-74445/)

LA_Disco2 07-01-2015 10:59 AM

iPad dash in a Discovery?

9 Attachment(s)
So I looked everywhere online and cannot find a single person who flush-mounted an ipad in their D2 as a full head unit replacement. If that is true, I guess I'll have to be the first. I got started on the project a few days ago without a full grasp of what I was getting myself into. The goal is to remove the factory head unit completely and run the entire audio system from an iPad. This will give an all-in-one system that no aftermarket unit can touch. I should be able to do the whole thing for under $500 (including the cost of the iPad).
Attachment 56580

DISCLAIMER: I am not a car audio expert or even a master fabricator. In fact this was the first time I've ever laid fiberglass. But the big guys online claim you need to spend $3-4k to achieve this setup and I just don't buy it.

Here is my setup:

I'm using an iPad 3 i got off eBay for 200 bucks since Apple's 30-pin component AV cables put out an analog signal. The newer models using the lightning connector require you to run a DAC (digital-to-analog-converter). The Apple cable splits to a USB cable for charging and RCA cables. The USB is plugged into a 5-amp charger connected to a remote power wire (basically a cigarette lighter). The RCA cables run through a line driver and then into a compact Alpine amp putting out 75W x 4 channels. The amp then sends the signal to the factory speakers.

The line driver is necessary since the iPad puts out line level sound and the volume cannot be controlled by the tablet. And since I no longer have a head unit, an external knob is required.

Progress:
I removed the factory head unit and AC controls in order to remove the front dash cover (and watch half the plastic tabs break of course) and the center console. After extensive troubleshooting, my brother and I finally got the tablet to put sound to the speakers.
Attachment 56581
Attachment 56582
Attachment 56583

After cutting up the factory harness behind the dash to power the audio outputs and then cutting up the one into the wimpy factory amp under the seat and bridging those wires, I had passed the point of no return and began chopping up the dash face.

Attachment 56584
I bought a cheap plastic flush mount off of Amazon and cut away the outer flange. This fits perfectly in the center section of the dash between the center AC vents. I used epoxy to bond the two together then reinforced the back with fiberglass to make it one solid piece. After some slow grinding with a dremel wheel, I filled the spaces with a few layers of body filler and sanded between coats.

Attachment 56585
Attachment 56586
I just got it primed and painted this morning but didnt have time to take a picture of the final piece. I'll try to upload a few this evening or tomorrow when it's finished.

Attachment 56587
Attachment 56588
The last step is going to be relocating the AC controls. There was no room for them in the dash, so I'll likely be cutting up the center console in front of the transfer case shifter and putting it there. I'm a little scared about this part. If anyone has done this or has relocated the AC controls elsewhere please let me know - I'm open to ideas.

OEMPartHaus.com 07-01-2015 11:52 AM

Sounds like a lot of work! Interested to see the results.

drowssap 07-02-2015 06:10 AM

but why?

LA_Disco2 07-02-2015 08:59 AM

because 'Merica.

Alex_M 07-02-2015 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by drowssap (Post 525379)
but why?

A multitude of reasons. Among them, the ability to do pretty much anything a computer can do in your dash, especially if you have the ability to hotspot your phone to the iPad for internet access.

Looks awesome, cant wait to see how it turns out!

cappedup 07-02-2015 09:03 AM

This certainly warrants 'cos, why not?'

Great work. It's definitely more than just a different stereo!

Would an iPad mini have fitted better or more sleekly?

cosmiccharlie 07-02-2015 11:28 AM

Where are you going to put your climate control?

WNYErikDiscoII 07-02-2015 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by cappedup (Post 525401)

Would an iPad mini have fitted better or more sleekly?

I was thinking the same thing.

Great idea nonetheless. Im staying tuned to see where this goes and the end result.

Cre8 07-02-2015 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII (Post 525446)
I was thinking the same thing.

Great idea nonetheless. Im staying tuned to see where this goes and the end result.

If he knows Xcode he could just make a touch screen UI to control the CC. :D

ls1morethanyou 07-02-2015 01:18 PM

i want a nexus 7 in mine