Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've got the "sloshing" noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: I've got the "sloshing" noise

I am assuming you havea D1, haven't read through the whole thing again. It is easier if you unbolt the reservoir and pick it up higher. You don't have to fill it as full either..

Old 10-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something was left out here. You have to unclamp your expansion bottle from its location, and lift it as high as it will go. This procedure works with gravity.Don't forget to unhook the line that is hooked on the inner side of the bottle. I personally used a bungee cord hooked to the inner holes of the hoodto hold the bottle up high. Then fill it to the top, and go unscrew your bleeding bolt.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:15 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Darover

Something was left out here. You have to unclamp your expansion bottle from its location, and lift it as high as it will go. This procedure works with gravity.Don't forget to unhook the line that is hooked on the inner side of the bottle. I personally used a bungee cord hooked to the inner holes of the hoodto hold the bottle up high. Then fill it to the top, and go unscrew your bleeding bolt.
Well, there you go. That would have been good to know this morning.

I was thinking of suspending the whole truck with bungies to get it at the right angle or buying an "air magnet" to coax the bubble to the top. Checker might have an "air magnet."

Old 10-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Drifting

Have any luck with getting the air out???

Old 10-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Mudding

Yes. Now on to phase 2, figgering out where the coolant is leaking.

I replaced about 16 oz of fluid. Sooooo.....where did the coolant go? Oil looks fine. No evidence of leaking at the replaced head gasket. Seems pretty tight.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Gas
Overlanding

Dear Fans,

I am a new owner of a LR Disco 1 1998 Model. Lately i took it out for a desert drive on two reprisals and in the two outings I had the following:
Reference to the above subject and analysing what had happened with me the first and second time drive on two consecutive weekends Leads to the same symptoms pressure buildup due to over heating! But yet the thermostat not showing up. First time the pressure had find its way out through the weakest point which was the old hose and get burst releasing all the coolant , solved the problem by putting a Bondage, replace with drinking water till I reached the Garage some 100Km away from our desert drive and get replaced the hose (mutiple hose with 3 inlets Rad/ Engine/Collant Tank). The second time was from the coolant pressure cap lid itself, after being stuck in desert and used my low gear to find may way out between desert dunes I heard a splashing noise , jumped out and saw coolant dripping like hell down on golden desert sand, I thought I lost my radiator figuring that I hit something but it was coming out from the presure lid, yet temperature is stable, continued the trip and been out safely but not confortable about it. Today I checked coolant in the aux tank and it was empty on (cold) before starting the engine , checked oil and transmition oil everything is normal. So it seems I need to replace the Radiator but what about the thermostat not reflecting high temperature? Should I replace that first and monitor again or just do it. Please advise on suitable hassle free Radiator for my Goldy. Specially we have a 3 days long weekend and I am pretty sure that there will be loads of trips planned. Do you suggest a Recored or Just replace with an aftermarket one??

Last edited by Gas; 06-27-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

While it could be something else, it really seems like you have a restriction somewhere in the system (likely the radiator). I'd start there and hope that overheating really is the only reason it is over pressurizing.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Gas
Overlanding

Thank you Daryl, I will check on the Radiator today, should I recored it better?

Old 06-28-2011, 01:14 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

unfortunately if you run low enough on coolant you won't read hot because there is no fluid to make contact with the sensor or to open the thermostat. A good indicator is a heater blowing cool. sometimes the heater can blow cool and still be enough in there to register a high temp. Remember this sensor measures the coolant temp, and if you are too low on coolant, will not reflect how hot the engine really is.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Mudding

x2. Detaching the expansion tank is crucial to being able to get the coolant to come right up to the bleed screw. Also as you are warming the truck up, you can pump (squeeze) your top hoses, which will pump coolant at a faster rate and dislodge any air bubbles. These two tips make the bleed process so much easier and should really be in the bleed how to sticky.

Quick Reply: I've got the "sloshing" noise