Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover discovery 2 roof rack solution

Old 08-28-2018, 11:31 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Agreed post has been removed. Good to see you posting Charlie.

Folks post like this won't be allowed. If you see one let myself or another moderator know and we will to care of it.
In other words - censorship.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:06 AM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub-arctic Rover
Sorry Richard, I can't take pics of clamps in original form, I modded all of the clamps and supports already.
I am posting more pics in hopes they will provide more clarification on the mods I did.
I had the clamp angle where I thought it should be when the tip of the clamp aligned with the tip of the support as shown by the yellow arrow in pic 3.
Bear in mind I have not installed the racks and used the Rover. I really don't think there will be any problem but I can't say for sure. I did check to make sure doors would open, the mod provides more clearance for the top of the doors than in original form. I don't have sun roofs so I did not worry about cross bar height other than clearing the factory roof rack / rails.
I am going to try to get some painting done tonight. Maybe I can permanently install them soon.
those images were perfect thanks

Old 08-29-2018, 03:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 99FLDISCOII
It's not censorship, its removing vitriol and negativity from a forum meant for helping folks out, not ridiculing their supposed income level. Get off your high horse.

And even if it was "censorship" this is a private forum that you are allowed to used by the grace of the owners and moderators, as long as you abide by the rules and behave like an adult. If you don't like it, go pay for a server and host your own forum with a minimum income level requirement for admission.

Last edited by Llamasayswhat; 08-29-2018 at 07:01 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Llamasayswhat:
ArmyRover (08-30-2018), divkat (06-24-2019), mollusc (09-06-2018), shanechevelle (04-15-2019), Sixpack577 (08-30-2018), The Deputy (08-31-2018), wjsj69 (09-06-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-30-2018, 02:00 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello, it's been years and my rack is still great. I wanted to ad one small thing that might help. When I finished getting the correct curve on the end of the hook, I also purchased beefier bolts for mounting. also when mounting I have best luck with this method.

#1-install everything and slightly tighten the bolts to just snug.
#2-then take a hammer or rubber mallet and pound the hooks so they are nice and tight under your roof rails. Then proceed to tighten the racks all the way.

Aside from that I can't think of anything else to ad. I've been using the same rack with the same hooks and bolts for at least 5 years now. RTT, High-Lift, spare tire and lots of gear go up there with no issue. Have fun with it.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 02:42 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
Hello, it's been years and my rack is still great. I wanted to ad one small thing that might help. When I finished getting the correct curve on the end of the hook, I also purchased beefier bolts for mounting. also when mounting I have best luck with this method.

#1-install everything and slightly tighten the bolts to just snug.
#2-then take a hammer or rubber mallet and pound the hooks so they are nice and tight under your roof rails. Then proceed to tighten the racks all the way.

Aside from that I can't think of anything else to ad. I've been using the same rack with the same hooks and bolts for at least 5 years now. RTT, High-Lift, spare tire and lots of gear go up there with no issue. Have fun with it.
Thanks for the feedback

Old 08-30-2018, 06:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
Hi, just updating with some new photos. I purchased another pair of bars and now have 4 total. Just installed the RTT and Roof rack last week with hi-lift jack. The only thing left is to modify my awning to fit the rack which I'll be doing this weekend.
Again I'm very happy with this purchase and with a slight bit of labor on your end you can also have an awesome heavy duty roof rack set up.
The attached photos are not the greatest. If you want anything with more detail, just ask and i'll try to snap some more.

P.S. I don't know why these damn photos are upsidedown, I've tride to flip them twice and have now given up, sorry.
Here's what it looks like right side up!

By the way, what's the type of basket that you used up front??

Attached Thumbnails Land Rover discovery 2 roof rack solution-cheaprack.png  

Last edited by No Doubt; 08-30-2018 at 06:16 PM.
The Deputy (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 11:16 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

toofaroffroad - Just curious why you felt the need to beef up the mounting bolts and how you did it. I considered it but so far I have not come to the conclusion that I need to.
Thanks for all the info and the update.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:07 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I put my racks on this evening. Things went pretty well. I did have a little trouble with the passenger side rear corner, there was not much clearance under the rain gutter for the bottom of the clamp. I bent the clamp a little and then it worked. The bend I did was where I had straightened the clamp, I just increased the angle a little bit. The driver's side had plenty of room under the gutter, a little difference in placement of the quarter panel I would guess. The racks feel very sturdy. I put them as far apart as I could while staying in the straight part of the gutter, I got 82.25 inches on the bars, center to center. There is about 1 inch of clearance over the rear of the roof, and if I had put the front bar over the factory roof rails I would have about 1 inch. Other than my less than stellar paint job I think it looks fairly good. I originally was planning on just 2 bars to carry a canoe, I am now thinking about putting one or two more racks on it and building either a platform, or a basket to clamp on it.

Attached Thumbnails Land Rover discovery 2 roof rack solution-img_20180905_203832005.jpg   Land Rover discovery 2 roof rack solution-img_20180905_203617883.jpg  

Last edited by Sub-arctic Rover; 09-06-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Richard Gallant (09-06-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 04:50 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 99FLDISCOII
what u said earlier may be true, however some of us don't pee sitting down and we also like to fabricate things with our hands. cheerio' mate.

shanechevelle (04-15-2019)
Old 10-22-2018, 04:53 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the forums need to nominate the OP as member of the decade. just picked up a set of these van racks at pep boys. i also have a smittybilt roof rack for a jeep jk sitting in my yard for 2 years. now its gonna be McGuyver mode as soon as my turd comes back from the shop!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Land Rover discovery 2 roof rack solution