Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaking transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
There are no seals or bearings on the t-case that you need to pull it out of the truck to replace.
All can be done with it in the truck, it is best to have it on a lift, you have 2 output shaft seals, one input shaft seal and one inspection plate seal.
www.discoweb.org has a write up on how to do it in their tech section.
How would you replace the input shaft seal without dropping the case?

Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoArt
How would you replace the input shaft seal without dropping the case?
You cant.
Thank you for pointing out that I did not do a very good job of proof reading my post.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not experencing any whine or vibration. Maybe a very suttle whine occasionally but it does'nt sound abnormal. I can't say what normal would be though.

I have about about 80 miles on it since putting in the White Shepard. Still leaking but I don't think I have driven it enough to give the additive a chance to work.

I think the oil is leaking from the front. Would this be the Front output shaft and can I replace the bearing and seal without dropping the case?

Spike, so what can I not get to without dropping the case? I went to the site you suggested, thank you.

Appreciate the help gentleman.

Jim

Old 06-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Drop the front shaft and you can get to it. Not super easy, but not too hard...

http://www.discoweb.org/tcasebearing/index.htm The front and rear are relatively the same. You have to remove the parking drum on the rear.

Rave manual has the Rover way to do it. Free download in my sig..

Old 06-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You Sir.

So is it more than likely to be leaking from the front and or rear imputs then any other place on the case?

Thanks

Old 06-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Atlantic British sells a kit with the rear seal and the flange, I don't remember if the sell one for the front, as I recall, the kit was about $50, including the flange. When I did the rear output seal, the flange had a fair amount of grooves worn into it. Had I planned properly, I would have changed the flange when I did the seal. It leaked some, even with the new seal. I added some White Shepherd and the leak stopped. You can also get a shaft sleeve for about $18 that will also fix the issue. With the White Shepherd, you want to put it in and then right away drive for an hour or so. It looses it's effectiveness soon after you put it in. Good luck. Phil

Old 06-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
Atlantic British sells a kit with the rear seal and the flange, I don't remember if the sell one for the front, as I recall, the kit was about $50, including the flange. When I did the rear output seal, the flange had a fair amount of grooves worn into it. Had I planned properly, I would have changed the flange when I did the seal. It leaked some, even with the new seal. I added some White Shepherd and the leak stopped. You can also get a shaft sleeve for about $18 that will also fix the issue. With the White Shepherd, you want to put it in and then right away drive for an hour or so. It looses it's effectiveness soon after you put it in. Good luck. Phil
From AB?

Old 06-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

The shaft sleeves can be purchased from local auto parts stores. For the price difference, I would just get the new flange. You may not even need a new flange, just check it when you get the seal out. Phil

Old 06-18-2010, 07:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

You probably are not going to be able to have a local auto parts store look up a wear sleeve on a Rover by application, but if you provide them with measurements, they will probably have.
Speaking from 19 years of parts store experience, it would probably be best if you don't even mention Land Rover. Just give them measurements, and you will be more likely to get whet you need without hearing, "There's no way we are going to have that!"

Old 06-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default White Shepherd

I also have a leaking input shaft seal on my 03 Disco's TC. I really want to try the White Shephard, is it the sealer/conditioner, or the rear main seal sealer? I am loosing quite a bit of fluid. Should I check the breather? I hadn't even considered that as a possibility. Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: leaking transfer case