Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaks, damned leaks, and Disco2 Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 09:16 PM
4wd Low
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaks, damned leaks, and Disco2 Leaks

So...regarding oil leaks: best practices on how to locate leaks? Should I coat the engine bay and under carriage with degreaser, give her a good hose down, then track down where the leaks are coming from? Is there a better way? Best practices (once located and fixed) to prevent in the future (oil additives)?

P.S. Novice home mechanic here. Not trained. Trying to save money and learn something about turning wrenches by doing it myself (as much as possible).

Old 02-20-2023, 12:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Look up PCV mod in the stickies that is an excellent place to start, the stock system is well known to clog which lead to over pressure and more oil leaks

The following users liked this post:
Hendo6119 (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 12:39 AM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I would identify what kind of oil is leaking first. Is it engine oil? ATF? Gear oil? Power steering? This way you can narrow your focus in identifying where it may come from. ATF is typically red, engine oil is golden to dark brown/black, power steering is clear (and should not be ATF in the D2), gear oil is golden to hazy dark yellow and has an unpleasant aroma. Brake fluid is clear, too.

Hendo6119 (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 06:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Engine oil leaks caused by PCV, loose valve cover bolts. PS pumps all leak unless they have been replaced and even then they will eventually leak due to ****ty rear seal. Master cylinder leaks due to rear seal failing, it can be rebuilt or replaced. That's all there is.

Hendo6119 (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 07:14 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Extinct
Engine oil leaks caused by PCV, loose valve cover bolts. PS pumps all leak unless they have been replaced and even then they will eventually leak due to ****ty rear seal. Master cylinder leaks due to rear seal failing, it can be rebuilt or replaced. That's all there is.
None of these things seem like they're too difficult to fix. Still no long term fix for that rear Power Steering seal huh?

Master Cylinder fix: can I just replace the seal?

I saw the PCV fix. Didn't know about tightening the valve cover bolts. I'm assuming I have to break a couple things down to get to them?

Old 02-20-2023, 07:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

The valve cover bolts are super easy to get to because you only need to tighten the outer ones which are just out in the open. The only trick is that you need a 8mm, 1/4” drive, 12pt socket to turn them.

Hendo6119 (02-20-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 10:33 AM
Mudding
Received 148 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by greisinb
The valve cover bolts are super easy to get to because you only need to tighten the outer ones which are just out in the open. The only trick is that you need a 8mm, 1/4” drive, 12pt socket to turn them.
Which you can find on Amazon or eBay, etc. Mine shows up today is why I know.

Old 02-21-2023, 10:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by YETIX
Which you can find on Amazon or eBay, etc. Mine shows up today is why I know.
Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that in my original post. It's not something that you commonly find on the hardware shore shelf, I had to order mine (from NAPA, I think). Just don't count on going down to the store and being able to pick one up.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Hendo6119
None of these things seem like they're too difficult to fix. Still no long term fix for that rear Power Steering seal huh?

Master Cylinder fix: can I just replace the seal?
PS seal - abbes-performance in CZ sells thick paper gaskets, if you use Permatex motoseal and take really good care snugging down the bolts it will seal and stay sealed, but it takes care. I have cracked rear covers, squeezed out gaskets, f'ed it up in every way imaginable.

Master Cylinder - yes. If you can find hte kit. Audi has same seal in some of their stuff, I order kits in bulk from AU brake company, and then you have to take it apart and again not super easy. TBH head gasket job is more straightforward. More hours but more straight forward.

Hendo6119 (02-25-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 03:50 PM
4wd Low

Ok I have replaced:

1. T-stat
2. Water pump
3. Radiator (because I put a hole in it while replacing #2)

I am STILL leaking coolant on the back side of the engine bay. What am I missing? Heater core? Heater core hoses? Heater core hose connections?

Quick Reply: Leaks, damned leaks, and Disco2 Leaks