Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaks and Seals and drive shafts and...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

In your fourth pic you can see grease zerks on that part of the rear driveshaft, they look like nipples.

Your front driveshaft is stock, it needs to be rebuilt.

As for the valve cover, go buy a 8mm 12 point deep well socket and snug up the bolts.
Send me $20
Do this at every oil change.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

+2 has to be rebuilt with greasable u joints or replaced with a tom woods.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Old 05-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, took this to the local repair shop and this is what the guy said.

He re greased the drive shafts, check the fittings and everything looks good. The front shaft was recently replaced.

There is a leak in the TC and the transmission, although fluid is full so doesn't think its major right now.

As for the rear shaft, there is fluid leaking from the pinion seal in the rear differential, he says it has significant differential play and is causing the clunking sound when you put it in reverse. Should be repaired. Is this an easy job? Something that i could do myself, I called around to a couple of local shops and no one will work on a Landrover...awesome...anyway going to search for some threads on this so any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by RegT
Hey guys, took this to the local repair shop and this is what the guy said.

He re greased the drive shafts, check the fittings and everything looks good. The front shaft was recently replaced.

There is a leak in the TC and the transmission, although fluid is full so doesn't think its major right now.

As for the rear shaft, there is fluid leaking from the pinion seal in the rear differential, he says it has significant differential play and is causing the clunking sound when you put it in reverse. Should be repaired. Is this an easy job? Something that i could do myself, I called around to a couple of local shops and no one will work on a Landrover...awesome...anyway going to search for some threads on this so any help would be appreciated.
Couldn't find anyone that would work on it, can't understand that..but anyway had the dealer look at it (i know, i know) quoted $257 to fix the pinion seal. Couldn't find anything on the forum about the job so if anyone can tell me how difficult it is would be appreciated before I have them do it.

Thanks
Joe

Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my thread on the transfer case. Have you downloaded the RAVE manual? I find the Disco fairly easy to work on if you get the right tools. I did my own headgaskets last summer.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...=transfer+case

Old 05-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by grussell
Here is my thread on the transfer case. Have you downloaded the RAVE manual? I find the Disco fairly easy to work on if you get the right tools. I did my own headgaskets last summer.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...=transfer+case

Nice write up, the pics help bring it all together...I will try to get this done in the next couple of weeks. I down loaded the RAVE but can't seem to get it to work, will download it again and see if it works probably a user error. Thanks appreciate the response on this.