Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets Play "Stump the Schwab" - vibration/grinding issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 03:51 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets Play "Stump the Schwab" - vibration/grinding issue

First post on the boards...and so I don't seem so foreign - 3rd Discovery (96 Avalon Blue 5spd SE7 and 96 White Automatic SE7 prior to this one). Also owned several late model Audi's and BMW's (2002+). Enough about me - here's the problem.

PARTICULARS- 03' Disco HSE 44K Miles with grinding/vibration coming fromdriver front - Developed over the last few thousand miles. No codes or other warning indicators.

THE SOUND- The grinding/vibration feels like, and sounds like the ABS brakesare "on" - but, they're not. Also noteworthy,it can be felt through driver’s side "floor". The vibration is not driving related, it's sort of "extracurricular"(perhaps in addition to is better) orstandalone...vehicle drives very smooth with no problems. This is felt through the floor but again not related to "driving" perse.

IT HAPPENS WHEN- Very intermittently, with engine running, at idle while in park, drive, neutral, or reverse as well as during initial seconds of acceleration from any speed. Again, it's very intermittent - doesn't matter if engine is cold or hot. Noise goes away while decelerating with or without brakes. Noise is not affected by turning. Happens 30% of the timevehicle is running.

CAN BE HEARD - In the cabin (loudest incabin), and outside, especially with head near the front driver wheel. Not noticeable at all when more than 5feet or so from the vehicle. CANNOT really be heard with hood open and listening from the top (engine too loud perhaps).

WHAT IT ISN'T -Actually, I haven’t ruled anything out yet.Obviously it'snot the pump under the driver’s door, the cats don't seem to have the rattles, and everythingSEEMS tight underneath.

The carhas 44K and has had ZERO problems until I hit 40Kand was 6 months out of warranty- now I've got a plethora to deal with (sagging bags,sunroof, parktronic, and much more). Shops can't diagnose it (mostly because they have a hard time replicating the sound and getting close enough to it to isolate the problem area at the same time), so I'm curious if anyone here can give me a clue, point me in the right direction, or bring up similar problems another member may have had! Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Lets Play "Stump the Schwab" - vibration/grinding issue

Does it sound/feel like when the traction control is activated?

Have you changed/flushed your brake fluid?

Old 06-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Alot of questions and possible answers. Lets talk, you can call me at 303-862-7680 in Colorado or send me your number.
Mike

Old 06-15-2007, 10:12 AM
8th Gear

Aquaholic - I haven't had the brake system flushed yet. Unfortunetly, I've never experienced the traction control in this vehicle as the wife drives it in the winter. In past vehicles and current vehicles the traction control has felt similar to ABS brake functions (considering it's using the brake system!) so it could possibly be said that it sounds/feels like the TC system. Sorry I'm not more help on that.

Disco Mike - I'll try giving you a call a bit later - thanks!