Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets Talk About Knock Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 07:44 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lets Talk About Knock Sensors

Hi All

I have a 1999 D2 with a little knock problem. I just ordered a I930 scanner and was wondering if the live data will show knock sensor readings. When I monitor engine timing advance on my scangauge and it starts to knock I see no change in timing. It doesn't retard. I get no CEL or codes. I run top tier 93 octane fuel. I'm really hoping to be able to monitor knock sensors with my new I930. Have any of you had a faulty knock sensor that didn't throw a CEL code?

Old 11-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaggySE7
Hi All

I have a 1999 D2 with a little knock problem. I just ordered a I930 scanner and was wondering if the live data will show knock sensor readings. When I monitor engine timing advance on my scangauge and it starts to knock I see no change in timing. It doesn't retard. I get no CEL or codes. I run top tier 93 octane fuel. I'm really hoping to be able to monitor knock sensors with my new I930. Have any of you had a faulty knock sensor that didn't throw a CEL code?
Shaggy I can only answer the final question. I've had my Disco II for 17 years. The only time I ever got a knock sensor code or saw any indication of a timing problem is when the wire to my knock sensor burnt through because I routed it incorrectly. The timing issue showed up first when the wire grounded, then the code (and the smoke from burning wire insulation!) occurred. I had no choice but to keep driving but the engine was a DOG until I fixed the wire. Technically, I didn't have a faulty knock sensor--ive never had a faulty one (multiple Engines) but the grounded then burnt wire emulated the same.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:19 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I did look at the wires and they are attached at the sensors. They run towards the front and I couldn't really see where they end up. I should definitely see the timing back off when knock is occurring right.? Well my scanner arrived yesterday according to tracking. I'll check the mail box when I get home from work. Whether its a wire or a sensor I believe something is wrong.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaggySE7
Well I did look at the wires and they are attached at the sensors. They run towards the front and I couldn't really see where they end up. I should definitely see the timing back off when knock is occurring right.? Well my scanner arrived yesterday according to tracking. I'll check the mail box when I get home from work. Whether its a wire or a sensor I believe something is wrong.
The knock sensor wires should go up to the space between the lower and upper intakes they are on the same wiring bundle a the injectors and exit the front, behind the air conditioner compressor.

As far as I recall, timing is dictated by a combination of inputs from the knock sensors, the MAF, and the crank sensor. Maybe the cam sensor, too.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

The ECM calculates ignition timing using input from the following:
l CKP sensor.
l Knock sensors (KS).
l MAF sensor.
l TP sensor (idle only).
l ECT sensor.

also

In the event of a CMP sensor signal failure any of the following symptoms may be observed:
l Ignition timing reverts to default values from ECM memory.
From a quick manual search.......