Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

locked out, alarm went off after getting in, towed home.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 10:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default locked out, alarm went off after getting in, towed home.

Went to walmart just down the road, fixed the oil pan plug, wanted to return my redbox movies. I should have not locked the doors with the key but I did as I didn't have problems before with this. So locked it, came back and I couldn't unlock the doors anymore. I know the lock on the driver door is jacked up as its a different key from the ignition and u have to shack it a little while turning it. But it's always worked these last 3 weeks or month of ownership. So anyways, pushed a metal rod threw the door and hit the unlock button in the dash, alarm goes off, I pull the car home with a tow strap. Now it's back in the garage with the battery disconnected.

So what's my next step? As apperently I can't just stick the keys in the ignition and start the car. It won't let me. Can I take the driver side door apart and turn what ever is in the door to atleast disarm the system? I have the handle kinda off the door and can see the top of the lock cylinder with the pins. Can I just remove the lock cylinder and take it to a lock smith to re key it to my ignition key?

I knew I shouldn't have locked it tonight...... well please giud me in what to do next.

Btw, it's a 99 d2

Old 03-15-2016, 10:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by BS50MGSXR
Went to walmart just down the road, fixed the oil pan plug, wanted to return my redbox movies. I should have not locked the doors with the key but I did as I didn't have problems before with this. So locked it, came back and I couldn't unlock the doors anymore. I know the lock on the driver door is jacked up as its a different key from the ignition and u have to shack it a little while turning it. But it's always worked these last 3 weeks or month of ownership. So anyways, pushed a metal rod threw the door and hit the unlock button in the dash, alarm goes off, I pull the car home with a tow strap. Now it's back in the garage with the battery disconnected.

So what's my next step? As apperently I can't just stick the keys in the ignition and start the car. It won't let me. Can I take the driver side door apart and turn what ever is in the door to atleast disarm the system? I have the handle kinda off the door and can see the top of the lock cylinder with the pins. Can I just remove the lock cylinder and take it to a lock smith to re key it to my ignition key?

I knew I shouldn't have locked it tonight...... well please giud me in what to do next.

Btw, it's a 99 d2
You're on the right track.

Basically you take the interior door panel off and take the door handle off from the inside.. it pushes outward after you take a bolt off on the door sill and push the handle toward the front of the truck. I think there is also a linkage you will see that disconnects... I'm having trouble remembering but it seems that you have to disconnect it by feel. There is a long pin that extends from the lock cylinder and is turned by it. That has a phillips shaped end. If you take the handle off you will be able to turn the receiver of the phillips end with a screwdriver and unlock, disarm, etc. I think you'll find that the pin has broken. Replacements are available.

If you don't see the rod or pin or whatever it is called sticking out from the cylinder it has broken off. Mine broke for no good reason and I was in the same boat as you except the lock was original and my key worked.

Someone has replaced that handle. Maybe they used a crappy one. The replacement part has a hole through it that seats on the cylinder with a pin.

That should get it working unless the electronics have kicked in.

A real locksmith should be able to adapt the cylinder to your ignition key, but I've never heard of anyone doing that so I'm not sure.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-15-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:07 AM
Rock Crawling

What do u mean by " the electronics kicking in? "

Also looks like the pins still connected to the lock in the door, so I don't think anything is broken, but the key just doesn't turn the lock anymore.

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
You're on the right track.

Basically you take the interior door panel off and take the door handle off from the inside.. it pushes outward after you take a bolt off on the door sill and push the handle toward the front of the truck. I think there is also a linkage you will see that disconnects... I'm having trouble remembering but it seems that you have to disconnect it by feel. There is a long pin that extends from the lock cylinder and is turned by it. That has a phillips shaped end. If you take the handle off you will be able to turn the receiver of the phillips end with a screwdriver and unlock, disarm, etc. I think you'll find that the pin has broken. Replacements are available.

If you don't see the rod or pin or whatever it is called sticking out from the cylinder it has broken off. Mine broke for no good reason and I was in the same boat as you except the lock was original and my key worked.

Someone has replaced that handle. Maybe they used a crappy one. The replacement part has a hole through it that seats on the cylinder with a pin.

That should get it working unless the electronics have kicked in.

A real locksmith should be able to adapt the cylinder to your ignition key, but I've never heard of anyone doing that so I'm not sure.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:11 AM
Camel Trophy

Okay I misunderstood. The lock cylinder is just stuck and the rod is still on it. Then you should be able to turn the white plastic part that the rod goes into with a big phillips screwdriver. That will hopefully turn off the alarm.

Electronics kicking in meaning that the computers have superlocked it. That has never happened to me but it takes sophisticated equipment at a dealership or shop to reset it if it is superlocked.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:30 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

so i'm assuming you have No remote.
if you do a search or read the rave I believe if you unlock the door 5 times with the key or something like that it will reset the alarm.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:42 AM
Rock Crawling

Correct, no functional remote that is. Just one key for the door and another key for the ignition. So with the lock cylinder out of the way I'll find this Philip tipped screw or shaft to turn to un arm the alarm?

I guess I'll stop by harbor frieght after work and get there interior removal kit they sell there. Take the driver side door apart and get to the handle.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:25 AM
Rock Crawling

Ahh, I see the phillips ur talking about now. Found a picture on ebay of a new/used driver door handle. So if I can just get the lock cylinder or door handles out of the way all together and just use a phillips screw driver as my key at the moment then great.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:32 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by BS50MGSXR
Ahh, I see the phillips ur talking about now. Found a picture on ebay of a new/used driver door handle. So if I can just get the lock cylinder or door handles out of the way all together and just use a phillips screw driver as my key at the moment then great.
Right. I'm sorry it is hard to describe. I looked for pictures of mine last night but couldn't find any. That white plastic looking thing straight back from the lock. Maybe yours is stripped. It is connected to the electronics that signal turning of the key. When I first realized how it worked it occurred to me that a thief could just drill the lock and open/unlock/disarm my rover with a screwdriver. When you reconnect the battery try turning that thing a couple of times.

I've read of people whose rod broke just making a new one with the shaft of a big phillips screwdriver cut to length and drilled for the pin that holds it in the keeper on the cylinder.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-16-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Sweet, I'l rip into this beast when i get home, I can see why everyone has there love hate with this car, but I feel that way at times with my jetta. Lol.

I don't think anything is broken other then my lock cylinder needs new lock pins. The cylinder just doesn't turn do to something being warn out with a pins or the key.

So I'll def just use the phillips to hopefully disarm the alarm.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Looks like in the sticky section of the forum, the "how to's section" the second topic for demobilizing is I guess the part I need to follow.

Although at first I'll try cycling the lock to the left a few times. Maybe 3? As I read somewhere that 3 presses with the keys remote would shut the alarm off.

I looked up in the glove box owners manual to see if I could find my radio/EKA codes or any other codes for that matter and couldn't find them. How am I suppose to go about finding the code now? Also looks like a 1515 code should work as well.

Quick Reply: locked out, alarm went off after getting in, towed home.