Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a 20-03 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

A RRC for a second car? HELL YEAH!!
It will have already been converted from air ride to coil springs, so one less thing for you to worry about.
It will have alot of miles on it, but thats fine.
Your biggest issue will be the a/c not working, cruise not working and rust.
The window frames on those are steel as well as the hood (the rest is aluminum, the DI is all aluminum except the roof, the DII is all aluminum except the doors and roof) and some electrical issues.
If you wanted to learn to work on a car and had something to drive already then a RRC or a DI would be a great place to start.
Both are very affordable, parts are plenty and cheap and they have few electronics with the RRC having the fewest.
But the RRC will not have airbags, the DI will.
Neither will have working ABS.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you recommend a DI or a RRC? I don't really care a whole bunch is the AC and the CC needs work, I don't really need those to drive it. The no airbag thing sucks a little, but hopefully I would still survive a crash? LOL. I like the look of the RRC much more. It would basically be my winter DD. It only needs to get me to work and back 6 miles a day 5 days a week.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The DI was built on the RRC chassis, so under the skin they are basically the same vehicle. The RRC has a classic look to it, the DI looks more off roady. Both are equally capable off road vehicles, so it's down to what you can find and what you fancy.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bundu
The DI was built on the RRC chassis, so under the skin they are basically the same vehicle. The RRC has a classic look to it, the DI looks more off roady. Both are equally capable off road vehicles, so it's down to what you can find and what you fancy.
What he said.
Just start looking around, I think a good DI will be easier to find but a RRC will be a more "classic" truck.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:17 PM
TReK

Both are great vehicles...you can find RRC's for CHEAP if you look. As stated before, finding one that was cared for by it's owner will make all the difference in the world.

YouTube the Top Gear "Bolivia" special and it will make you want an old RR.......and it will make you want to use it

Old 07-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfXNSI9VF0Y

You can look up the rest of it.
But you do need to see the whole thing, you might even find it On Demand if you have Comcast.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default You had a D90

Originally Posted by Bundu
I've owned 3 LRs (RRC, D90 & DII) and I've been through deserts where there is no gas or water for 100 miles - would I do that if I thought it was not reliable? Heck no...
Would I use it for a daily driver? Heck no... but that's just me, I think that's sacrilege I rebuilt the RRC and now I'm doing the same with the DII, the D90 was brand new. They are reliable vehicles and built tough, but like any machine they can break down, preventative maintenance is key to minimizing down time. My plan is to rebuild the DII and go through everything from front to back and get it to the point where I trust it with my life, in a couple of years I'm doing a trip to Death Valley and I wouldn't do that in something I don't think is reliable.

You had a D90 ? what the hell you doing with a DII ? I agree with you on the rebuilding though..you need to rebuild half the truck to make it worthy... Reliable....sure in 0 mile condition like all the other camel and adventure race trucks. try trusting them after the race....and 03 DII block new....not reliable...anything is pretty reliable when you sink a bunch of money in it....the question is ...how much ?

Old 07-12-2010, 04:46 PM
TReK

There it is! Thanks for finding it Spike...Greatest episode EVER, makes me proud to own a Rover......helps to cancel out all the Rover bashing we hear from certain people over and over again*AHEM*....thank goodness there's no on this site that does that

ryan - my advice would be to test drive as many Rovers as you can, get the one(s) you really like looked over by a pro and pull the trigger. Take the negative comments into consideration because some seemed to be plagued with issues, but don't let anyone scare you away. Just keep up on the maintenance and enjoy it for what it was made for!