Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a 99 Disco 2 with the following problems:

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a 99 Disco 2 with the following problems:

The guy im buying it from was driving on the highway and the car started to shake violently and the front shaft fell off. So obviously it needs that to drive. The car does run great but also has the following lights on:

SRS, ABS, SERVICE ENGINE, HILL DESCENT, and the Mode and Sport blue lights are flashing. I know the ABS/HILL DESCENT are expensive but never heard of the M and S lights that flash.

What else should I look for as far as the front drive shaft, im thinking if that fell off, that would mean it needs u-joints as well, thoughts?

Old 01-25-2009, 07:22 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Looking to buy a 99 Disco 2 with the following problems:

all DIIs need front U-joints replaced with greaseable U-joints...make sure driveshaft did not damage transmission or transmission pan. M and S lights flashing could just be low battery voltage.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Mudding

how would I know if it damaged the trans since I wont go in a gear. I also checked under the car while it was in gear and the spindle does spin, you're right about the M and S lights since the battery was dead when I jumped it. How hard is the ABS/HILL light to replace and how much$

Old 01-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

How much does he want for this truck?
Whatever he is asking add $7,000 for a new transmission.
Or $1500 for a used one.
http://www.roverlandparts.com/1999-2...lyrebuilt.aspx
This truck is messed up.
It has the 3 amigos.
The "M" and "S" lights are on because the transmission is toast. It is a boat anchor. I dont know what the scrap yard will pay for it.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Mudding

really, so the M and S isnt low voltage? Also, whats the 3 amigos?

Old 01-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Team Owner

Do a search for the 3 amigos, one of the most common faults with DII's, could be anything from a free fix to a $1200 fix.

The "M"&"S" lights indicate a transmission fault, on a normal running DII's when the transmission ECU does not have enough voltage the lights will come on and flash.
When the "XYZ" switch goes bad, "M"&"S" lights come on.
SO...the "M"$"S" lights mean a transmission fault.
Since the truck will not move you really need to investigate the problem.
Check the transmission fluid level, that will tell you if there is a big gapping whole in the side.
Look at the front output from the transfer case, next to it is the transmisison, is there a hole about the size of your fist?
99% of the time when the double cardon breaks on a DII this is what it does to the transmission.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Mudding

well its a $1k FIRM for the truck, i can pick up a 2000 in good running shape for like $3500-4000, so you're saying 99% of the time if the the shaft falls, itll take the trans with it. But having a dead battery would also explain the M and S lights but then having the shaft issue would also explain the M and S lights, well here..... As soon the truck started, the M and S lights didnt go on, once I started to put it in gears, the lights started flashing, however, the spindle where the shaft would go, does spin. Thoughts?

Old 01-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Team Owner

My thought are walk away unless you want a project or want to part it out.
You could part it out and make a couple of grand easy.
If you wanted to fix it you are looking at another 2-3 grand to get it running.
If you were lucky it only needs the front driveshaft, $800.
So this $1,000 truck will be no less than a $2,000 truck. Not a bad price for a '99 DII.
Go back tommorrow with your socket set and remove the fill/check plug on the side of the transmission, if there is fluid in it then let us know.
If not, then walk away.
I dont think this guy is telling you the whole truth.
He knows the real scope, but if he tells you you wont buy it.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Usually when the driveshaft fails it punches a big hole in the transmission when it starts flailing around, so it 'should' be pretty obvious when you look at it. On a 99 you should be able to lock the cdl in the transfer case allowing you to drive without the front driveshaft. You would need to take aboxwrench (10 or 12mm???), feel on top of the transfer case towards the front and feelfor a 3" round plate with a 'nut' sticking out of the middle. Turn that nut about 90 deg with the wrench and you should be able to drive it. Searchthe forumfor 'how toengage cdl' or something, I know there's better instructions. By a $30 code reader and read the codes for the service engine light too. Could be a good deal if your handy, have the time and are willing to learn about thes things. Then again, it could be something to run away from because no doubt there is something else goingon too.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Mudding

How many miles on it. I read the thread and couldn't find it.

How is the engine, any serious leaks, does it idle well, no missing / knocking / lifter noise, etc.

It is absolutely right about describing it as a boat anchor that is if it has 150 K Miles and a fist size hole in the transmission and leaking head gaskets.

On the other hand, it may be a diamond in the rough with 60 K Miles and a transmission that was saved by the Rover angels.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 99 Disco 2 with the following problems: