Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Disco 2 Miami mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 09:21 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Disco 2 Miami mechanic

Hello everyone,

​​​​​​I have a 2001 Disco 2 and have had bad luck finding a good mechanic here in Miami Florida to work on my Disco 2. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-08-2021, 03:44 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoDancer
Hello everyone,

​​​​​​I have a 2001 Disco 2 and have had bad luck finding a good mechanic here in Miami Florida to work on my Disco 2. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
There are many things that with the right tools, space, time and dedication you would be able to tackle yourself; then again, many that you would need a mechanic, a general one would do the trick, if the job needed to be done is pretty straight forward.

Those job that I have not been able to tackle myself, I've relied on a friend mechanic not necessarily savvy on LRs, but did have his shop and was good working on many different cars.

Unfortunately I moved up to Ft. Lauderdale, so haven't been able to visit him lately.

I was given the info from a LR mechanic down in Miami, I remember visiting him the first days I got my 2002 Disco S2 SE ...he just gave me a read on all codes present and gave me a few tips moving forward but never worked on my Disco. His name was Alex -don't know if he is still around- and this is his contact info then: 786.346.0666, 690 NW 29th St, Miami, FL 33127.

Miami British has a shop, but I haven't been there for repairs.

Prestige European Auto Service on 711 W Broward Blvd seems to work regularly on LRs, I drive by every day and there are always LRs being worked on there, dunno if good or bad. I went in once to have them re-thread spark plug 1, and they ended up putting me in contact with a guy nearby that works freelance on LRs ...I called the guy, but ended up doing the job with my wife's Mercedes mechanic, I was in a bit of a rush, and the guy sounded like waking up after a full week of partying.

If you do come across someone, please share.

Good Luck.

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 02-08-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

Looking as well for this area, heard of Prestige but haven’t gone myself. Not close to you but I use Adamo near Dixie Hwy and Prospect in Ft Lauderdale. Not a Land Rover place but good mechanics and family owned. Father and Son always there and Mechanic James did my HG a year ago. My truck is actually there now to fix a number of things, Evap system, transmission leak etc.

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 06:29 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by 04disco2va
Looking as well for this area, heard of Prestige but haven’t gone myself. Not close to you but I use Adamo near Dixie Hwy and Prospect in Ft Lauderdale. Not a Land Rover place but good mechanics and family owned. Father and Son always there and Mechanic James did my HG a year ago. My truck is actually there now to fix a number of things, Evap system, transmission leak etc.
Cool, actually Adamo may work for me if push comes to shove; I live in downtown FTL, I must have driven passed it.

For having your truck there after done HG job, you must feel comfortable with them.

If you don't mind, let me know how it went with the HG job? ...how bad was it? ...how did it turn out? ...how much did they charge you? ...just to have an idea ...my Disco is a bit over 202K and has had a loss power for quite some time; lately I've been having to refill coolant every couple weeks, although no signs of coolant leaks, but I do get a coolant odor every now and then, although no overheating signs; I guess is just the signs of the age.

For the moment I'm looking to replace the steering box, so shopping for parts and labor to have it done. Like I said before, if I had the space I would try and do it myself, but not living in a house w/garage anymore.

Farthest I've gone myself is taking apart gasket covers and rockers for a deep clean, but I lived in a house with a comfortable garage to do it myself then.

I'll look into the place you mentioned, but let me know about the HG job, I think that's something I should be looking into sooner than later.

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2021, 09:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Hi adolfojbonilla,

Yes hear you about working on your truck. It can be challenging in just a driveway. Concerning the HG, I’ll have to dig up the cost but it’s not a cheap job as I’m sure you know. 2500-3000. My truck didn’t give much warning it just overheated and stopped running. Head was removed and there was water on top of the cylinders and clear gap in the gasket where it failed. Since Adamo replaced haven’t had any issues. It’s probably been closer to two years now. There are much smarter people on this thread that know your symptoms and will be able to tell you what more to look for, but having to refill every couple of weeks with no visible leaking on the ground is not a good sign. With our trucks mileage it’s just a matter of time.
Concerning your steering box, do a search on the forums here. There are some good options that people have posted for rebuilt options. I purchased a used box from roverlandparts some time ago and planned to have it rebuilt or do myself. Wish I had read the forums posts first!

Reach out if you have further questions. I’ll look for that HG receipt.

adolfojbonilla (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 07:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts

You guys can do the head gaskets yourself for pretty cheap. I am not a mechanic (IT geek) and jumped right in. Ended up having to replace the engine. But the head gasket is easy - just follow the videos from British Atlantic and you will save tons of $$$

adolfojbonilla (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 08:51 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
You guys can do the head gaskets yourself for pretty cheap. I am not a mechanic (IT geek) and jumped right in. Ended up having to replace the engine. But the head gasket is easy - just follow the videos from British Atlantic and you will save tons of $$$
Oh I'm sure, in fact I've seen that video myself and it sure seems doable... I've gone as far as removing the valve covers and taken out the rockers and clean all that up, but unfortunately I don't have the space I used to since I moved... ;-]#

Old 04-14-2021, 10:55 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there, I'm also in Miami. I don't own a Disco 2 yet but I've been in the market for months now. You should join the land rover group of south florida, there's some good advice in there and you could always ask people who they recommend.

As stated I don't have an LR so no first hand experience, but I've heard good things about the British 4x4 company in Pompano beach. Also there's a guy in the facebook group named Joe who does some LR work - I think his company is called Jolly Rover 4x4

Old 04-14-2021, 08:53 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks Cook. Definitely will look them up.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:08 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by 04disco2va
Thanks Cook. Definitely will look them up.
Hi, any luck finding that mechanic? I sure desperately need a reliable one, now that I've been having issues with my 2002 Disco S2 for nearly a month already.

At one point took it to Prestige on Broward Blvd, but after charging me nearly $500, failed to make my Disco start, failed to see a broken spark plug wire that may have caused all my issues, and simply suggested I replaced the engine and sent me off. So visit at your own risk.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Quick Reply: Looking for Disco 2 Miami mechanic