Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to get a Discovery (first Land Rover)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, Atlantic British has sales for the kits all the time, and they aren't bad.

Mine works well, but when it goes, I'll be putting the normal ones in it. I LOVE the "raise the back end" button and would hate to probably just stick new bags in, if that's possible.

Us "sloppy seconds" Disco owners cannot be too choosy, it seems...

Old 04-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

To add to what Disco2Fever said it took me 9 months to find my truck.
I drove past it every week for 6 months before I test drove it and then bought it, I was drawn to it.
The Rover Gods kept telling me "buy this one", but it was white and I did not want white and the price was to high.
Long story short she was a 1 owner and I got the price down almost $2,000 and I have spent less than $1500 in repairs since I bought her 3 years ago.

Moral of the story, take your time there are plenty of fish in the sea.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:07 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am headed down the same "slippery slope" into Disco ownership. I am taking a different approach though. I am a capable mechanic (although not by trade any more) and want to get one on the cheap. A head gasket job doesn't scare me and most of the repairs seem doable by a good shade tree mechanic.
Anyway, I need a runner/driver so I can stop beating the h3ll out of my wife's Honda Odyssey when I take my son ATV riding in the hills.
The bonus is that the wife has wanted a Disco but I refused knowing the reliability issues. If we have it as a 4th vehicle I can deal with the repairs.
Anyway, there are MANY for sale and cheap. Yes, I know, look out. But, if I can get in a driver, I can make repairs as needed.
ATV racing for my son and a Disco in the same year - I must be sick...
I hope the turbos hold out on my Audi S4 - no big deal, just requires pulling the engine.
Cheers,
Dave
south-central PA

Old 04-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Winching

That's awesome Dave- do it!

And if you get a D1, you don't have much to worry about. I've heard they are like working on a tractor.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seems common to find a real mixed bag of the bad, the worse and the down right ugly.
There is a 1999 disco II (so i can add the CDL shifter) about a 150 miles away that has a few dings and scapes in the body (not an issue for me as it will have that once i start driving it) that I'm going to go and see this weekend.

As for the airbag suspension on the DII i plan to swap out the suspension with a OME 2 inch lift kit as soon as i get it, so its really not an issue if its airbags or not. Outside my purchase price i have money set aside for the lift, new brake lines and ABS line extensions and a tom woods front drive shaft. From what i have read they seems to be some of the first things to address, all things being equal with a running vehicle.

I don't know if its just Vegas but everything that is being advertised is between $3500 to $7500 for 97-02's, that seems a little high to me when looking at KBB and what others seems to have purchased them for. Should i be using KBB as a price guide?

Thanks
Dave

Old 04-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Mudding

I don't know if this helps you at all, but I got my '03 with 102k for $6700... Perfect inside and out. SE7, Rear entertainment, cold weather package, fully loaded. No leaks anywhere! Fresh plugs/wires and coil weekend before i picked it up. I got a pretty good deal from everything else I was looking at. I got it on ebay and i had to travel about 7.5 to 8 hours to get it, but it was well worth it. And the drive home was a lot of fun! Pretty scary though, I had to HOPE and pray that the front drive shaft didn't let loose and mess up my tranny!! The only thing I'm missing is the CDL, but i'm not a hard core off-roader anyways.. atleast not at this point.. but it can be added for next to nothing so... we'll see.

Hope that helps you out!!

Take care and best of luck!!

Old 04-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Winching

I've never done rocks or anything, but the CDL in my 2004 didn't really make a difference when going through deep snow. It never got stuck, but I didn't feel any more grab with it locked than without it locked.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco2Fever
That's awesome Dave- do it!

And if you get a D1, you don't have much to worry about. I've heard they are like working on a tractor.
Thanks D2F. I was leaning toward the DII earlier but now I am looking for a DI just for that reason.

There are about 15-20 for sale under $2500 within 5 hours of me. I am taking cash to see one tomorrow. See you in hell my friends...

Dave K.
Disco bound

Old 04-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by range_time

Outside my purchase price i have money set aside for the lift, new brake lines and ABS line extensions and a tom woods front drive shaft. From what i have read they seems to be some of the first things to address, all things being equal with a running vehicle.

Thanks
Dave
Well guru's? Do you concur with (the other) Dave above? Should the first purchase be a Tom Woods driveshaft? Is there any other choice besides the Tom Wood version?

Dave K.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Winching

Man, some times I wish I'd have resigned to a life of simplicity and ease, and bought a D1.

Now that I'm moving to Colorado, and my days of long commutes to Wisconsin are over, owning a D1 seems like an even smarter move.

The D2 is just so nice for cruising down the freeway... and with the new engine, I know it's every bit as good as the $21k 04 I looked at in Texas.

I guess it all comes down to this:

Owning a Disco is by NO means practical. If you're deriving your value by mere comfort and transportation, you can probably do better with another vehicle. There's just this stigma, and it has NOTHING to do with them being "rich people cars". They are just bad-***. They are unique. Cliche as heck, but you love them or hate them.

AS FOR TOM WOODS:

I need to do this for both my Discos. They are about $400 each. I just emailed Tom last week, and got this reply:

Pat:

I have called your number, went into voice mail but did not leave a message as you state “ e-mail for a quicker response.” So here is the E-mail.

The double cardan drive shafts are $389.00 each. Once the product is ordered, it will ship the following business day. We pay freight (UPS Ground, lower 48 states). However, we do add on a $5.00 packaging charge. With other shipping methods/destinations, there will be additional freight charges.

We do have information where we could probably supply the drive shafts with a good fit with application information only. The best fit is attained with you supplying a length measurement from the face of the flange at the transfer case to the face of the flange on the differential. This will be more or less as per the attached art.

If you have other questions or would like to place an order, it may be best to call. Our Toll Free US # is 1-877-497-4238. Our worldwide telephone # is 1-801-737-0757. Hours of operation are 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM. Mountain Time Zone. (GMT - 7 hours) Monday through Friday.

Alternatively, if you cannot call, billing and shipping arrangements will need to be made.

For ordering and payment by credit card it would be preferred that you fax to us all of the information required:

Product desired along with applicable measurements.

Name of purchaser

Company name if applicable.

Shipping Address

Telephone number.

If paying by credit card, Name as it appears on the card.

Mailing address for billing purposes on the card

Account number

Expiration Date

Verification code*

* Visa, MasterCard or Discover .... On the back of the card in the signature block you will see some digits printed on this surface there will be either 7 or 3 digits. If there are 7 digits the verification code is the last three. If there are only 3 digits, they are the verification code.

* American Express......On the front face of the card, you will see four digits that are printed on but not pressed. This is the verification code

Our Toll Free US Fax # is 1-877-497-4238 Worldwide Fax # is 1-801-737-0786

If you would prefer and are willing to assume the risks involved you may E-mail this information to me. Be advised that while we are somewhat protected via firewall, we do not have a “secure server” for accepting credit card information. If you do E-mail, you can have some sense of security though, as we are also a Security Metrics Site Certified Company. http://securitymetrics.com/?gclid=CO...FRBbagod_GFYbg

Thank you,

Tom Wood

Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts Inc.

Quick Reply: Looking to get a Discovery (first Land Rover)