Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to get my first disco

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:23 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to get my first disco

ok im looking at to get my first disco, ive found 2 that im interested in but i dont realy kno the deference between the two. And does the 02 have the cdl? The 2 that im am looking at is the 01 and the 02 witch one is beter?or are they just exactly the same? lol
thanx

Platinum Auto Exchange - www.platinumautoexchangeinc.com

Old 12-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

No CDL on the 02, unless the transfer case was replaced in whole or in part.
The 01 MIGHT have it... you'd have to crawl under and feel around.

If the 01 has it, I'd go that way... depending on condition.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

but I wouldn't pay that price.... probably.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:27 PM
4wd Low

Ok so what would be a good price for the 01. Is the ace not that common,b/c I can't seam to find one with it n that is something I want.I can't wait to get one I'm very exited, and I keep having dreams about them lol

Old 12-30-2011, 05:25 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the 01 if it has the CDL tit in the transfer case. ACE was not that common as it was a $1600-$2000 option depending on the year. Both trucks have relitively low mileage 85k, but that is were they are going to start costing money. 85k and up is were you can start looking at rebuilding drive shafts, water pumps, head gaskets, high mileage maintenance (check the post its) just make sure you keep enough money aside for repairs. Otherwise welcome

Old 12-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

As been mentioned, you are likely looking to spend some dollars as soon as you get either of the Discos. The front driveshaft is a mandatory repair the minute you get it home. Head gaskets will be needed soon, if they aren't already leaking. I would have an extensive pre purchase inspection done on any truck that you are looking to buy, money well spent. if you want a new hobby and a truck that is great off-road, and looks great, get a disco, if you want daily transportation and four-wheel drice, but don't want a truck that will require work and money, you might consider a 4runner........good luck. The nice thing is that if you have a spare vehicle and several grand in your pocket, after you buy the truck, you will get to learn a ton about how to diagnose and repair a disco, The Rave manual is essential, you can download it for free from this site. You will also end up checking Land Rover Forums on a daily basis and Disco Mike will be on your speed dial! Good Luck. Phil

Old 12-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
As been mentioned, you are likely looking to spend some dollars as soon as you get either of the Discos. The front driveshaft is a mandatory repair the minute you get it home. Head gaskets will be needed soon, if they aren't already leaking. I would have an extensive pre purchase inspection done on any truck that you are looking to buy, money well spent. if you want a new hobby and a truck that is great off-road, and looks great, get a disco, if you want daily transportation and four-wheel drice, but don't want a truck that will require work and money, you might consider a 4runner........good luck. The nice thing is that if you have a spare vehicle and several grand in your pocket, after you buy the truck, you will get to learn a ton about how to diagnose and repair a disco, The Rave manual is essential, you can download it for free from this site. You will also end up checking Land Rover Forums on a daily basis and Disco Mike will be on your speed dial! Good Luck. Phil
I agree with you Phil.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I just got my 2001 SE7 in October for $5,800 with 59,000 miles on it. It does have the nipple for the CDL, but no lever. So far it has given me no issues.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Mudding

Unless you ARE a MECHANIC, or WANT to BECOME ONE...Sell it FAST!!! Like everyone has said you're one the road to emminent disaster!

Old 12-30-2011, 02:29 PM
4wd Low

thanx for all the info. so would i be better off to look at one with a little over a 100,000 miles or would i just be in the same boat? and i look forward to working on my new truck im pretty mechanically inclined so thats not a worry.would this disco be worth looking at? im kind of weary of the price for this one? thanx again

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE, $7,495 - Cars.com

Quick Reply: looking to get my first disco