Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to get my first disco

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 1882discovery
thanx for all the info. so would i be better off to look at one with a little over a 100,000 miles or would i just be in the same boat? and i look forward to working on my new truck im pretty mechanically inclined so thats not a worry.would this disco be worth looking at? im kind of weary of the price for this one? thanx again

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE, $7,495 - Cars.com
2004's get a premium price because they have (or could have) everything. I like that color.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:03 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea from what ive seeen online i havent seen a 2004 at this price. is this pretty cheap for one cuz i really like this one!!!

Old 12-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
I just got my 2001 SE7 in October for $5,800 with 59,000 miles on it. It does have the nipple for the CDL, but no lever. So far it has given me no issues.
...and with that comment you've just jinxed yourself.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:23 AM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Unless you can get an early year at an incredible price, I would go for the 2004 just to get the CDL. I wouldn't even consider an 02 or 03 because it gets too complex to add the CDL.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

IMHO many of these vehicles suffer from owner neglect (just like other high dollar rides - BMW, Mercedes, etc.) - they just stop doing the required services. So by getting one with all the features, and lower miles, you have cut the opportunity for previous owner neglect. You can always spot the Disco owners in the parts store - a case of oil for the upcoming week and a gallon of hand cleaner....

Old 01-01-2012, 02:33 PM
4wd Low

Thanx guys for all the great info as soon as I get my new to me truck ill post some pics

Old 01-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Winching

Yeah, ACE is awesome but was a high dollar option. If you find one with it, its usually loaded. It a great feature to have on and off road.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:33 AM
4wd Low

I bet!!! I just hope I can find one with it that I like

Old 01-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Mudding
Default New Disco...? Quote of the DAY

RE: buying/getting, renting/leasing a Disco...1st tip: DON'T second tip: if you're not a mechanic and don't want to BECOME one, absolutley DO NOT GET A DISCO!!!
And last: Here's what you've been waiting for...the quote of the day:

Reliability
Discovery 3 was described as "unreliable" by several consumer reports, including "Least Reliable Luxury Cars 2006" by Forbes[7]

The question I pose is this: How can Land Rover be so TOTALLY dedicated to producing such a TOTALLY UNRELIABLE POS for SO MANY YEARS RUNNING?!!!
In my mind, this is inexcusable! What a bunch of A-HOLES!
I'm not a computer guy, but what needs to be done is this needs to be blogged, tweeted, Facebooked, etc, until evrybody knows just what a POS these vehicles are and we either force Land Rover OUT OF BUSINESS or TO RESOLVE THEIR, SHALL WE SAY, LESS THAN ADMIRABLE "ENGINEERING"!
On the brighter side:

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Wow! Talk about sour grapes!

Original poster, please note that Onewingman bought his Discovery with a blown head gasket a little more than three months ago. Apparently this has left a bad taste in his mouth. This is precisely why you need to have a vehicle looked at by a professional who is experienced with Land Rovers before purchase. This will let you know what kind of repairs you may need to make in the future.

I joined this site months before I bought my Landy, and read EVERY post in EVERY thread, which I still do to this day. Because of this forum, I knew what to look for, and knew what I would be getting into.

When I found a very clean, 2000 Disco with a knocking engine that didn't start, for $2500, I bought it on the spot, having already priced a used engine. I had it towed home and changed the engine myself over the course of 2 weekends, and lots of beer. Do I badmouth Land Rover because of previous owners engine neglect, and trusting oil changes to fast lube places? Not one bit.

Since the engine replacement, the only things that have "broken" were the ABS shuttle valves, which I fixed in a few hours for $130~ , and a blower motor making noise which I lubed with 3-in-one oil. The only repair I have made, for which I can fault Land Rover, is rebuilding the front driveshaft. $200 parts and labor. That was money well spent as preventative maintenance. Everything else I have done to it was either routine maintenance (oil and drive-line fluid changes, brakes) or modifications and additions.

A lot of these vehicles are in poor shape because of owner neglect. Case in point: one of the drivers for the auto parts store in which I work told me that there has been a LR in the parking lot of a local garage for a few weeks. Tonight after work, I stopped by the shop to see it and talk to the techs. It's a 95 or 96 D1 driven by a kid going to college here. He called them because it was overheating, and they told him to bring it in immediately. He brought it in, two weeks later. The oil is 1/2 way up the dipstick and mixed with coolant. Had this kid taken it in to get looked at at the first sign of overheating, he would be in for far less expense than I'm sure he will be now. I told the owner of the shop to give me a call at work, when he gets approval to investigate the cause. I am going to give him the knowledge I have gained from this forum, as well as parts resources learned about here.

Bottom line, be careful what you buy, unless you know what you are getting into, and either can do it yourself, or have money to have it fixed. Listen to the advise of people who have owned them for years and make repairs themselves. Feel free to ignore posts from people who have not followed the first two things.

Quick Reply: looking to get my first disco