Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for hope and advice for my DII

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 02:24 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanb
An old Land Rover is never paid for.

I also disagree the Discovery 2 will ever be a classic, collectible or more desirable as it ages. It was a bastard lemon. Series and Defenders are proven collectibles, the Range Rover classic to a degree, but the Discovery 2 won't be any more collectible than a P38. Discovery 2 prices will follow the P38, only more slowly because the Discovery 2's are far more plentiful.

D2's come and go through the salvage yards every day.
Many junked for rusted frames or bad engines.
Still, they have a cult following.
It's simple supply vs demand. The numbers are dwindling, and the good trucks are few and far between. The majority can't work on them(simple as they are), or can't afford to pay a dealer to.
A P38 is a great ride, with it's own issues, but a D2 looks and drives like nothing else.

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (09-28-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 08:32 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A grateful Rover Enthusiast Says Thanks

All the comments are worthy of consideration. The mere fact that so many of you took the time to give me helpful advice gives me hope and affirms my belief that some things take on greater albeit different meanings to some people. I was in the UK over the summer and I traveled to Solihull. I did the Land Rover Experience and I can appreciate and respect the Land Rover Purists out there who knew the Land Rover of the 1960’s and the 1970’s. They certainly had more character. And sadly it seems the British never had the ability to invest more into the engineering performance of their Rovers, including the original Velar that found its way into the Louvre in 1971. I have met a lot of Rover ethusiasts like me and there is nothing rational about our affection for preserving these old vehicles. But in a world where everything seems to be becoming more and more disposable, including people, I admire the men and women who try to preserve old things of character that are worthy of their history and which to not offend our respect for one another. I am a big Superman fan and whenever I see an old red Chevy pickup with the spare wheel on the side, I can’t hep but stop and think of Jonathan and Martha Kent and that fictional farm in a fictional town in Kansas. It is quintessentially American. And whoever owns one of those little red pickups is one of the luckiest guys around. There is a price to everything in life, the question is can anyone really put a price on happiness?

Old 09-29-2018, 09:21 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

True. You can't put a price tag on smiles. And as far as whether or not these Dll's will ever amount to any value (monetarily)...is basically irrelevant...to those with a smile. Personally, l love running into the odd ball, out of the ordinary vehicles at car shows...and if Dll's become that...so be it.

I say...fix it and continue loving the rover.

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

I love a P38, but the HVAC system isn't as robust as the D2's with blend motor issues, or control head issues. I had a 97 RR 4.6L HSE Vitesse model in AA Yellow and it was a fantastic LR. I never had a control head issue, but I did have 2 EAS valve blocks die, and the heater core finally died after several O-Ring replacements. I sold it, and then had to pass it daily heading into work. Made me miss it terribly!!!!! I've kept my eye out for it, or another one in good condition, but I think the chances of finding an AA Yellow P38 in good shape is like finding a needle in a haystack these days.

The safety devices roof rack made a P38 look fantastic!! I loved mine.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:56 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanb
This guy, who has been a "Land Rover guy" for over 35 years debunks the Land Rover myth, but you have to skip to 33:45 because the link isn't working.
https://youtu.be/EhllcFNgYXM?t=33m53s

Personally, I think it's a better choice to enjoy the life experiences rather than the experience of being enamored with one's vehicle. So rather than trying really hard to be enamored with a Mitsubishi or Lada Niva or whatever, just be immersed in "going" and as far as "how you travel down that path," it has more to do with your beliefs, attitudes, and how you relate to the people you're with and that you meet and less to do with what brand or product you drive.
That guy's insane. He thinks an f150 is big. I've had a Land Cruiser and they simply don't have the timeless looks and verve of a Disco II. I had a Four Runner and liked it better than the Land Cruiser, but still less than the Disco. I've had more than a dozen cars and trucks since I bought my Disco. I still revere the Disco and when it is waxed it still looks like a modern vehicle. In my family we have extra cars and there is always talk of getting rid of this one or that one, but it is a given that the Disco wil stay forever--kids say so, wife says so, I say so. But he isn't talking about Discos. He's talking about all land rovers. The one he mentions is a DEFENDER. What sane person lumps defenders and Land Cruisers together? Defenders and Unimogs are closer.

The DNA of Toyotas is durable, efficient engines, thin leather, lots of plastic, and thin body panels. That's in my experience. The DNA of Land Rover is entirely different. I'm no fanboy but it seems plain.

I think the OP should get a galvanized frame and take a few months in the man cave to swap everything over. In a decade or so we will PM to check on each other's Discos.

I don't care about it being a classic because I'm never selling it. I love in East Texas; if it does it will become a storage building for fishing poles. Park a Disco next to a modern SUV and it is beauty and the beast.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 09-29-2018 at 11:59 AM.