Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   loose drivers side seat,normal? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/loose-drivers-side-seat-normal-30665/)

bobco 04-25-2010 03:27 PM

loose drivers side seat,normal?

i have a 2003 discovery and the drivers side seat rocks back on acceleration. Its been doing since i bought it new and the dealership has always said, its normal. Does anybody else have this happening? thanks for any help.

lipadj46 04-25-2010 05:22 PM

Mine did that ever since I got it then one day I leaned back to get a bag and the rear right corner collapsed. I removed the seat and cut out the welded on bolt and replaced it with a new bolt and now there is no more rocking. Not sure if it was that or if in the process of reinstalling the seat I tightened down whatever was loose but whatever it is nice to come to a stop and not have the seat rock.

hilltoppersx 04-25-2010 05:34 PM

no its not normal. its bolted to the floor its not designed as a rocking chair.

hunter 04-25-2010 06:30 PM

my 04 does it...don't remember if my 00 did. Slightly annoying, but livable.

PhishPhan 04-25-2010 06:56 PM

Same

my 01 Disco II does the same thing, try tighening the bolts

Suede 04-26-2010 03:47 PM

The best thing to do is to remove the seat from the vehicle and tighten the bolts that attach the base to the seat itself, then reinstall and tighten down the base to the floor.

Antmen 04-26-2010 05:53 PM

Check the four mounts/bushings where the seat connects to the rail. I haven't checked an LR, but some cars (like the BMW) have soft rubber bushings to absorb some vibrations. They wear or dry out. Replace them with same or harder plastic bushings.

-Anthony

Armando 10-13-2017 10:51 AM

I finally feel like I have something to contribute to this forum. I successfully fixed this on mine.

There is a metal tube that goes into a hole in the frame (visible from the outerside of the seat, nearest the door, after taking out the plastic trim).

It has a nylon bushing in it. This acts as a type of hinge that allows the seat to go up and down. With time, this bushing falls apart.

Ideally, you could take apart the seat and replace the bushing (it inserts from the inner part).

If you don't care to take apart the sear, you can insert material in there by pushing it in with a very small flat screwdriver. Insert it all the way around.

I was going crazy with the rocking back and forth so I used paper towel as a temporary repair. It's held up just fine for a week now, but as soon as it starts wobbling again (if it does), I will try to do with some type of nylon material.

I'll add a pic when I get a chance.

brivalen 10-09-2021 12:47 PM

old thread, pic? I've successfully driven myself nuts trying to fix this. I bought a used seat frame on ebay and it might be worse then my original one.

thebilgerat 10-11-2021 11:12 AM

Not normal on my rig - I'd check the bolts.