Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOOUUD.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOOUUD.

Hello,

I was wondering about my Disco II's sound. I notice when i start up the sucker has an almost diesel growl and like a clapp-clacking coming from the engine. It really just sounds like an older muscle car kind of sound. I notice is as soon as I start up and then it subsides, but once I accelerate it will increase in tempo.

I previously had a jeep Cherokee, so I am not sure if this is common. I never noticed it with other Disco's. When I had the truck looked at for another issue at the Land Rover dealership, I mentioned it to the mechanic and he assured me that unlike american cars, Land Rover's "don't hide their power sound." So I am wondering if it is normal or not. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2003 Discovery II SE7, 86k miles.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: LOOUUD.

Cracked exaust manifold, bad gasket or loose connection from the maifold to the downpipe. Take it to Midas and they will tell you what is wrong. Then you can get the parts to replace and do it in your driveway.

You can also fire it up cold and feel around for a puff of air (exhaust) around where the noise is the loudest. Look for cracks and gaps

Not normal. Your mechanic is nuts. When the exhaust is all working right, they are relatively quiet.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Are you sure it isint just a exhaust leak at the manifold? LR's are known for having cracked exhaust manifolds.
Have the oil PSI tested, what brand of oil filter are you using? Cheap oil filters will cause this.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Camel Trophy

OH crap. just noticed your sig. Check your oil pressure... 03's had faulty pumps. Run your VIN against the numbers on here and see if you fall in the bad range

Old 09-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Overlanding

I am using a Mobil 1 filter. The sound really radiates from the front underside.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Overlanding

"Run your VIN against the numbers on here and see if you fall in the bad range."

I am unsure how to do this. Any help please.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Overlanding

Ok so I checked. I am totally in the range. Anxiety has fully set in. What should my next step be? I bought it with 72k miles. What are the odds this was already replaced?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Team Owner

Ok, when the oil pump goes bad the only fix is a new engine. The problem is this, when the block was forged the dowel pins that the oil pump seats against are mis alighned thus causing the the oil pump to wear prematurely and eventually fail. You can replace the oil pump beforeit grenades and save the engine, but you will need to replace the oil pump again when it starts to get weak, and so on and so on.
So, lets assume that the oil pump was replaced at 45,000 miles because it went bad, well the half life of a new oil pump would be about the same as the old one.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Camel Trophy

Just because you fall in the range doeasn't mean you are in trouble. Just watch for the oil light. Shut down if you ever see it. I would have your exhaust checked to rule that out first.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Team Owner

I agree with OKDguy, cheak exhaust leak and then oil PSI. The muffler shop can check your oil PSI while they are looking for the exhaust leak.
Have then record the PSI readings and then take those readings and start your research for correct oil PSI.