Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of Power '04 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 01:14 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of Power '04 Disco

I have a 2004 Disco with a 4.6 bosh. I replaced my radiator yesterday. In doing so I had to also remove the oil cooler. Drove it around the neighborhood, let it idle up to temp ...no problems. Driving to work today and I noticed some slipping the transmission as I got it up to 50-60mph. Soon after I noticed the RPMs jumping on me and significantly less power. I quickly go to the nearest parking lot which was on a very slight hill ...the truck barley pulled into the spot. At this point oil was all over the engine. The junction where the oil cooler and hose meet had given way and sprayed oil everywhere. I let it cool down. Oil levels were still in ok range. I then jerry-rigged a temp clamp on the oil cooler line in an attempt to get it home. Started fine, sounded fine ...clamp seemed to hold. Put the truck in drive and had zero "go". as if I was in neutral. Tried all gears and nothing. Note there was zero transmission fluid thrown and I saw no signs of any other issue than the failed oil line next to the oil cooler.

Did my transmission coincidentally go the same time as the oil line popped?? Or is this an oil pressure issue?

Did not have any lights pop on. Because of the radiator replacement I had my ODB on and the temp never got above 204 -normal for this engine. Oil was still very clean.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-20-2017, 07:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

You're sure the transmission fluid wasn't leaking? Sounds like it ran out of fluid. Especially if it had no trouble with slipping previously.

The following users liked this post:
hattbatt (04-21-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

If you have only one oil cooler in front of radiator it's a trans cooler,
03-04 D2's only have that trans cooler stock from factory,( unless someone down the line added an engine oil cooler which sits on top of trans cooler,), so if you only have one, you have lost trans fluid not engine oil, that's why truck doesn't engage the trans & doesn't move,

hattbatt (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 02:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

^^^^This

Hopefully, refilling will solve your problem (once line is repaired correctly). But, if your trans oil looked more like engine oil than trans oil...it sounds like you were long overdue for a fluid change anyway.

Good luck,

Brian.

hattbatt (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 04:59 AM
4wd High

Thanks everyone for the reply. You are all correct. This is my first Land Rover and have only had it a few months. The manual reads "oil cooler" and my uneducated head went straight to motor oil. It even looked like motor oil. So Brian, you called it -way overdue for a change.

Does anyone know where to find those hoses/lines? Im having trouble locating the specific ones for the '04 Disco with the 4.6

Thanks again.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

It's extremely hard to find those lines brand new, I think it's been discontinued, but the chances are that line itself is not rupchured, I think you just dislocated it as swapping radiator, if so you have to push it back into place while pulling back on plastic clip that is on the line & let it lock back in place,,
But if you have damaged the rubber hose already since it's a low pressure system you can either replace the rubber hose with another piece of trans hose & few clamps & make sure it's tight & doesn't leak , or remove the whole line (from trans to cooler) & take to a hydronic hose shop & have them fit a new hose for you, & then put it back, ,
(It's very hard to connect the line fitting to cooler, be careful & try not to damage the connection)

hattbatt (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 AM
4wd High

I appreciate the insight Bom2oo2. Yeah Im have a real hard time finding anything on that part. The hose itself is fine. Its the connection the Im having issue with. There is some sort of plastic sleeve or boot on the end of the other hose that isnt there on the trouble hose. Actually looks like it might have melted away or simply broken off.

Does anyone have a suggestion how I might correct this? The metal tabs are there ...maybe if I got small section of a larger hose to fit just over the metal junction and clamped that into place on both ends?? Since its low pressure, in my head that would work.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:33 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

I believe that the plastic part is there on the female side of the joint to hold a set of metal fingers in place around the male side. They're part of the mechanism that locks the hose in place. Presumably you could use something else to keep them tight, such as a zip tie, once the male part is in place and the fingers are locked onto it.

hattbatt (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 PM
4wd High

Good info mollusc. Ill give it a look thanks.