Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of codes. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:57 AM
BIG
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of codes. Please help!

1 month ago I replaced the o2 sensor (bank 1, sensor 1) because I was getting that code. After clearing the code everything was normal for about a week. I could even drive on the interstate and run the air. But my luck was short lived. Now I'm getting the bank1, sensor 1 code again (where the new sensor is) along with several others.
0171, 0130, 1171, 1412, 0155
I have a very rough idle, a strong sulfur smell, and terrible milage (200 miles per tank and dropping). I have always ran 93 octane from BP.
I checked the plugs and wires, they all look good. The air filter is new. The rave manual mentions the SAI (Secondary Air Intake) valve as being the possible cause. I removed it (driver side) and everything looks clean, nothing obvious. Someone else thought it could be the MAF sensor. I removed it and wiped it out with a clean dry rag. Cleared the codes and it ran fine for about 20 minutes. Now I'm getting the same codes again. When I removed the MAF sensor I noticed that the throttle body has alot of black "junk" on it. I cleaned it the best I could with it still on the rover. Has anyone else noticed this before? What is causing this "junk"? I'm sure it's not healthy for the 4.6. I would like some input on my problem if you have the time. It is also worth mentioning that the rig runs fine anytime I clear the codes. But after a short drive the light comes on and the idle is back to rough. Thanks for your help forum.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Was your first code also a 130 or a different one?
That 130 has to be fixed before you do anything so replace that 02 under warranty.
How many miles on the truck, if at 100,000, then replace all the 02's which will then take care of the 155 code.
After that get the codes cleared and see what is left, in the mean time don't drive it much or that smell will turn into a couple melted down cats.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:36 PM
BIG
Drifting

130 was the first. Initially it was the only code. Until I changed the o2 sensor. When the light came on after changing the sensor it was all 5 codes at the same time. It has 80k on it. To put my mind at ease, is there a way to check the mafs? I'll look for vacuum leaks tonight, and the new o2 sensor is on its way.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:46 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i would check for a vacuum leak if you are getting that much sediment on the throttle body. use carb spray on a rag to clean off that black soot.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:20 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You have no codes that would indicate a MAF issue so don't go there.
The black build up in the t/body is normal if not cleaned out at least every 30K.
How long between replacing that 02 and when the lights came on again?

Old 08-31-2010, 03:43 PM
BIG
Drifting

About a week, give or take a day. Now that I have driven with the light on for a while(couple of weeks) I'm getting the soot around the tip of the exhaust. If it's around the exhaust tip, Im sure it's else where. I've heard you mention a motor being all carboned up. Is it time to break out the seafoam again? Or should I wait until all other issues are resolved? I don't want to add to the problem.
Speaking of a vacuum leak, when changing the wires I broke a plastic nipple off of the intake and replaced it with a brass one, as the plastic wasn't available locally. It was good for a quick fix, but is that safe to leave where it is? Or should I find the plastic? Thanks very much for your help Disco Mike.