Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud metallic clunk every time I accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
the noise you are hearing is it the sound of the drive line tightening up, like every all wheel drive or is it an actual metal banging. All LR have a sound when you load and unload the drive line. The vibration could be a different problem all together
This is a fairly pronounced clunk/clang. Dont recall any of my prior Land Rover's doing it.

Brian

Last edited by bcolins; 12-25-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by jhk07
I'm going with.....................still your driveshaft. did you do centering ball ?

Mine clunked for ages, miles. Then once driveshaft met it's final doom and got totally rebuilt, the transition between acceleration/ deceleration finally became smooth and "noiseless".
Yeah, if you go back up a few posts to the 22nd,.....you will see I mentioned having done both shafts, all the joints and the centering ball,....Used all Neapco parts as recommended. Shafts were then re-ballanced since I still had the vibrations,.......and still do after the re-balance.

BC

Old 12-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

About the Clunk/Clang.. Did you check the tcase fluid yet? As I said, I had this exact issue when my tcase was a quart or two low.

About the vibration, have you checked the pan hard bushings, and all steering & suspension related bushings connections?

Old 12-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by caymandrew
About the Clunk/Clang.. Did you check the tcase fluid yet? As I said, I had this exact issue when my tcase was a quart or two low.

About the vibration, have you checked the pan hard bushings, and all steering & suspension related bushings connections?
This vibration is high frequency, it's in the driveline. Between cold weather and the holidays, I havent had time to do any more than slide under the truck yesterday and look for the T case fill plug,....never did find it.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going with what Drowssap said, my rover clunks when accelerate sometimes, it's normal with an AWD car. My brothers Discovery does it, my fathers Discovery does it, and my discovery does it, it scared the hell out of me at first, but then I was told its normal.

Disregard what he says about the tires. Just notice the play in his front driveshaft, that could be your clunking.
EDIT: for your vibrations, check your rotoflex for cracking if your still using one.

Last edited by Dane!; 12-26-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:07 PM
Winching

Change the transfer case fluid or at least top it off. I had the exact same "clunk" when taking my foot off or putting foot back on. My tcase was a quart or two low. Use 85w140 or follow this thread:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ictures-27159/

Can't help with your vibration. Is the rotoflex that connects the rear shaft to the rear diff worn or cracking?
You called it Caymandrew. I finally rounded up the Gear Oil Permatex RTV and Synthetic 75w140 and drained then dropped the T case cover. Probably not more than 1/2 quart total in the T case. Pretty nasty looking,.....dark brown.

The T case took a bit over 2 quarts to refill,....so, I had to wing it with a bit of Amzoil Severe duty 75W110.

What used to be a loud metallic CLUNK is now more or less gone,....with just the slightest non metallic thump on accell when warmed up.

I did find some somewhat large bits (1/8-1/4") of Copper in the drain pan,.....anyone have any thoughts on what that might be from? Everything seems to be in good working order. thanks for the tip Caymanandrew.

Last edited by bcolins; 01-15-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:31 AM
Winching

Good stuff. And now for all of those out there who also told me my "clunk" was normal. Please read the above description again. There is a big difference between a Loud clunk from a low tcsse and a normal AWD acceleration/deceleration drivetrain noise.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Winching

Good stuff. And now for all of those out there who also told me my "clunk" was normal. Please read the above description again. There is a big difference between a Loud clunk from a low tcsse and a normal AWD acceleration/deceleration drivetrain noise.
I agree completely.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having this same clunking issue and so I am guessing I should check the level in my transfer case but I don't know how to.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:37 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by jalodge
I am having this same clunking issue and so I am guessing I should check the level in my transfer case but I don't know how to.
Follow this for the D1 and D2: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ictures-27159/

I'll add to this, with a D2, remove the eight bolts holding the cross member bar to the frame, which obstructs access to the tcase. Also, get a 1/4" swivel adapter like this to access the fill plug:

And while you are down there, you may want to consider changing the transmission fluid and filter. Instructions here: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...uid-dii-23070/

Also, definitely change the front and rear differentials fluids, those are super easy, and use the same 85W-140 as the tcase.

Last edited by caymandrew; 01-21-2014 at 07:43 AM.