Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud whinning noise.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:54 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud whinning noise.

Hello, I am a new member but I did not want to meet like this. I just bought a 1995 land rover discovery, drove great, well I had to get it smogged here in the great state of Airizona. The Tech put my car on the Dyno machine and started the test, put it in gear and the vehicle jumped off the rollers, he did it again and the car started making a loud humming noise, the manager came out and told him to stop, and he told me to drive it in the parking lot to see how it drives. I cant get it to go faster tha 5 miles an hour, the SRS light stays on, the diff lock stays on and the 4 wheel light,( shows 4 wheels and axle) stays on as well. Had to creap it home, about 1/2 mile, kept trying to pull to the left, what happened, I filled out a incident report per the managers request. Also the State of Airizona conducts the test here. This is full time 4 will drive and he should have never put the rear wheels on the Dyno and chalked the front wheels correct.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Wrong, it should have never been tested if you had the t/case locked in High Lock, causing the indicator light on the dash to come on.
Bet your drive train is toasted.
The SRS light has nothing to do with this problem.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OUCH that hurts

Old 12-05-2009, 09:59 AM
4wd Low
Default Toasted drivetrain

Hello, yes I filed a incident report with the Arizona Emissions, the manager said that the Tech was new, and it should have not gone on the Dyno. I want them to supply me with a loner car until they fix this %%%%%%%%%#########, I think I will call my insurance company.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Wrong, it should have never been tested if you had the t/case locked in High Lock, causing the indicator light on the dash to come on.
Bet your drive train is toasted.
The SRS light has nothing to do with this problem.
It shouldnt have been put on the dyno high lock or not

Old 12-05-2009, 12:25 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They more or less wrecked your drivetrain. You are talking big money to fix it. I would be raising hell. Yes call your insurance company and tell them what happened.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:15 AM
4wd Low
Default Probably Toasted!

Well I am going to wait till noon on Monday to give the manager of the state inspection station to give me a answer of what they intend to do. I am going to get it towed to the Scottsdale Land Rover dealer to get inspected to find out all the damage to the drive system. I also am contacting my insurance company to let them know what happened. I found out that it was a new technician who was doing the test and that is why it happened,never should have been on the dyno machine, I guess if you pay someone 8.00 dollars an hour this is what you get. I wonder what the damage will cost?

Old 12-06-2009, 06:36 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

At a dealer? If there is actually damage to your differentials or transmission you are looking at something like $2000 (just a stab in the dark).

Old 12-06-2009, 10:07 AM
4wd Low

Wello, I hope it does not take long, need a car, I think maybe the state should pay for me a rental until they get this taken care of.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the rental is the least of your worries.

sounds like you are looking at MAJOR repairs.

Quick Reply: Loud whinning noise.