Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Engine Noise and Vibration at high RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, well, i take it all back about the clanking! i was looking at it more, and it appears to make the noise whenever you switch from park, to reverse, or to drive. It must have been making the noise in park only when the selector wasn't fully in park? Sloan74 was onto something!

It must have been trying to enagae a gear? idk, but does this mean that simply a fluid and filter change will fix it, or is it worse???

Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Winching

Your gonna change the trans fluid anyway for the 60k maintenance. So go ahead and do that and put a new filter/kit on it and see how it does.

Can you take the shifter case/boot off and look down in there so see if anything is lose/out of line on the shifter/linkage maybe? Man if that is all it is that rocks.

And yeah I am pretty certain #1 is common lifter tick. It's not a knock or it would get louder as you are suggesting. You can also take out your plugs there on the passenger side and inspect them. If they look like garbage might want to budget in a plug replacement. That would definitely help with the idle perhaps and most definitely performance. I know the plugs on the passenger side are easy, the ones on the driver you have to remove the manifold. I think there is a write up on here to do that. The wires you can check using a multi-meter, set it to ohms and check the resistance across both ends etc. There is a how to on youtube about checking spark plug cables. Don't rush out and buy some without checking yours first, they might be ok.
________
GRAPE APE MARIJUANA STRAIN

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Man was I late to the party or what?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Drifting

YEah, #1 is probably lifter tick...i am just bummed that an ATF flush and new Royal Purple oil didn't help...

I hate buying a "luxury" car like a disco and having it sound like it does all the time. i will have to just save the $600 for a camshaft kit and fix it eventually...

And i think i just havent been putting it all the way up into park sometimes. my concern now is, why DOES it make the noise when changing gears? it doesnt do it when it shifts as you drive, just when you go from park, to reverse, or to drive, etc.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Drifting

Oh, and i guess i should have said this earlier, but the car has 150k on it, but the engine was rebuilt 30k ago. The PO hadn't changed the oil in 10k though, so i am pretty much just replacing everything and doing the 60k service now, because i don't trust how he took care of the truck...

Old 08-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Winching

Linkage could be lose/crappy so it's technically not shifting all the way maybe. Damn I wish I had my rig, I would know more to help... Saturday can not come fast enough!

________
VAAAPP

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Team Owner

On the DI under the trim piece ontop of the gear shift there is a nut to adjust the shift cable.
I think there is one on the DII as well.
On the DI it is common for the cable to stretch and not shift all the way into park and then you cant remove the key from the ignition.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Drifting

I definitely need to check the plugs too, as when i bought it, the o2 upstream sensors were bad. i replaced them, but then i forgot to find some way to keep the passenger side connector away from the exhaust manifold, so the whole connector melted away...and that another $100 for a new connector from the dealer and a new sensor. But becuase of that, it ran "lean" (i suppose lean is relative for these engines) for about 50 miles before the light went off for some reason. So ill bet the plugs are bad. Luckily though, the bad o2 was on the passenger side, so it will be easy to check the plugs as you said.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
On the DI under the trim piece ontop of the gear shift there is a nut to adjust the shift cable.
I think there is one on the DII as well.
On the DI it is common for the cable to stretch and not shift all the way into park and then you cant remove the key from the ignition.
Yeah, i will check that...i am first going to just try and make sure that i get it all the way into park each time, and see if it happens again. The problem still remains though, why does it make that noise when it shifts?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Team Owner

It makes the noise because something is loose.
I agree its the torque converter bolts.

Quick Reply: Lower Engine Noise and Vibration at high RPMs