Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering my '03 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 03:58 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering my '03 Disco

All the threads I've read end up with, "Kill yourself" instead of constructive help or advice. I am disabled and in a wheelchair. I would like to lower my Disco about 2" to help me transfer into the driver's seat. Despite that, I shouldn't have to justify my reason but perhaps I will get some direction or experiential advice to help me complete this. I am a car and racing enthusiast but this is not my first foray into the Rover world. Back in the 1990's, I helped my (non-car guy) brother modify, show, and off-road his two Defender 90's.

If you have any helpful advice, it is much appreciated so I can best enjoy my new rig. I will be doing a full build out on it but making it accessible for me is the first step.

Thanks,
Brittany

Old 01-18-2015, 09:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Hello and welcome.

You basically have two options.
A full air suspension system or coil springs.

Sticking with the styling and classiness of the Rover I would love to see you with a full air ride system. Most systems now a days come with a remote control to allow you to lower the vehicle for ease of entry. Once your "saddled-up" you can raise your Rover back up to normal ride height. Very slick.

Option is two is your basic more economical option a basic set of lower springs. However, your Rover will only have one drive height. Low.

Sorry, I could not provide more specifics on where to purchase the equipment. Stick around though because I'm certain we will have more member contributions to help get you what your looking for.

The following users liked this post:
Brittany741 (01-19-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Unfortunately I don't know of any vendor that offers lowering springs for the discovery.

So your only real choice would be having the springs cut to lower the truck.

Brittany741 (01-19-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 09:41 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Welcome, and F those that won't give a hand with this! Good for you do what you want.

Try contacting Extreme4x4ltd.co.uk> they offer a DII lowering coil spring for the rear -1" / -2". They might have something for the front.

Extreme 4x4 Ltd DISCOVERY 2 REAR AIR TO COIL CONVERSION KIT
Wish I could give more input.

Brittany741 (01-19-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 09:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Get some saggy springs from a 99' out of the junkyard. that will give you a 1 or 2" drop. If that isn't enough you can always cut them and retain the stock springs.

Brittany741 (01-19-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 10:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just don't put spinners on it lol, It's too bad the interior ceiling is low, A rear actuated door with chair lift would look awesome. interior clearance would be an issue though. I'd love to see some pics with how it all turns out though.

Brittany741 (01-19-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The factory rear air suspension on the d2 can be lowered to the bump stops if you can find the original remote. This was to make it easier to hook and unhook trailers. I dont see why a set of factory rear air springs could not be fitted to the front with a little engineering and take advantage of this factory lowering and factory compressor. Does your disco have rear sls?

Brittany741 (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 12:04 AM
Overlanding

My Disco does not have rear SLS.

As for spinners, I do have good taste ��

I will not cut springs for any reason. Compromising handling is not only unsafe but leads to a poor driving experience. I'm looking at a quality air bag setup, for around $1800-2500 I can get the ride quality I want and ability to lower the car to get in and then raise her up for driving. This would also give a better appearance with beefier tires, right now I'm considering mud terrains. Haven't chosen wheels yet.

Thanks for the link on those springs. That's a decent option also. I hadn't found any yet so those with new shocks on all 4 corners is a viable option. I also want to do front and rear swaybars and refresh bushing on all four corners. At 100k miles, the suspension is somewhat tired.

Thanks again for the input!

Old 01-19-2015, 12:12 AM
Overlanding

Bmeier, that's another good suggestion. Many mobility companies produce either a lift system (a board I would ride up to the OEM seat) or a replacement seat which comes out of the rig and turns for a chair transfer. I am not a para so this isn't necessary. My legs are only partially numb. The loading board may be an option, though, and an especially good one if I wanted to just go for the lift I want.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:41 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Have you considered that it might just be cheaper to trade up to an early LR3?

They have the fully adjustable low/medium/high four wheel air bag system already installed.

I've used it when I got into a parking garage without realizing the height of the roof rack, hit the button and lowered down 3 or so inches...

It would be perfect for someone like you and you don't have to build it yourself or pay someone to build it for you. Once you're in you can go to normal height at the push of a button. The cockpit is roomier than a D2 as well. You can even raise it up at low speeds while off road. Not to mention that you can still outfit them with all the overland gear including roof racks, heavy duty bumpers, winch, snorkel, skid plates, etc.

Last edited by Dave03S; 01-19-2015 at 12:51 AM.
Brittany741 (01-19-2015)

Quick Reply: Lowering my '03 Disco