Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an LR3 or LR4 really an upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

BTW, Paul Grant mentioned to me that some people near him buy LR4s for the nanny to drive the kids to school.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Sorry, they're both thermostat housings. Same point.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
BTW, Paul Grant mentioned to me that some people near him buy LR4s for the nanny to drive the kids to school.
Guess I picked the wrong career path,lol.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

The offroad capability can be added to an early Discovery. The on-road features and comfort cannot so practically be added. But the main argument for using an earlier Land Rover for offroading is not that they're more capable, it's that they're more suitable. It's just not sensible to take a very expensive new vehicle and run it through the brush, bang it on rocks, and bash it over washboard for miles and miles. It's capable for a moment, but I suspect it won't hold up over the long run. The earlier Land Rover won't either but it's a fair bit easier to recondition and it will see quite a bit less steep depreciation along the way. The problem I see with the LR4 is that in 10 or 15 years, I don't see this improving. Ten years from now, fifteen, I don't suspect they'll be useful offroad. It will be too expensive just to keep them running properly and then the idea of a rough second life offroad just won't be practical.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

looking at the video I dont see a lot that need to be done, it clearly walked past the DII and it was in stock trim the DII was not.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

It depends on what you want. If I was made of money and wanted to play golf all day an LR4 would be pretty badass. However I could take money, buy a sweet honda. Then spend 18-20k(for the absolute best aftermarket products) and mod the **** out of an 04 Discovery. I'm talking Turner 4.6, sports torque cam shaft, after market exhaust, ARB front bumper, terrafirma rear bumper with recovery points, SD roof rack,mantec snorkel, extended breather tubes, refinished headliner, 16 inch steel wheels with BA mud terrains.

A modded D2 has so much character to it and looks way more badass than an LR3 or LR4 ever could imo. Unless I was uber rich I couldn't justify an LR4, although they are exceptionally nice vehicles and extremely capable to boot.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i guess we will see in a few more years when high mileage , poorly maintained LR4 become a dime a dozen just like disco's and range rovers did.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
i guess we will see in a few more years when high mileage , poorly maintained LR4 become a dime a dozen just like disco's and range rovers did.
Just means cheaper parts for my DII

Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by binvanna
The offroad capability can be added to an early Discovery. The on-road features and comfort cannot so practically be added. But the main argument for using an earlier Land Rover for offroading is not that they're more capable, it's that they're more suitable. It's just not sensible to take a very expensive new vehicle and run it through the brush, bang it on rocks, and bash it over washboard for miles and miles. It's capable for a moment, but I suspect it won't hold up over the long run. The earlier Land Rover won't either but it's a fair bit easier to recondition and it will see quite a bit less steep depreciation along the way. The problem I see with the LR4 is that in 10 or 15 years, I don't see this improving. Ten years from now, fifteen, I don't suspect they'll be useful offroad. It will be too expensive just to keep them running properly and then the idea of a rough second life offroad just won't be practical.
This begs the question, why get a Land Rovers at all? Without using the off-road capability, you'd be crazy to buy one of these! There's LOTS of other options with better MPG/reliability/power/etc to choose from.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For LR4 money you could seriously outfit a D1 or D2 for offroad and have just as a fun vehicle with plenty of money left over to buy a nice human hauler with towing capabilities i.e newer yukon, seqouia, 4runner, etc. I would hate to beat up that expensive of a vehicle especially if it's my only ride.

Quick Reply: Is an LR3 or LR4 really an upgrade?