Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   LT 230 Transfer Box leaking oil (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/lt-230-transfer-box-leaking-oil-68696/)

OffroadFrance 08-15-2014 05:42 PM

LT 230 Transfer Box leaking oil

I've noticed I have an oil leak where the transfer box joins the autobox. Looking at the oil it appears to be the heavier type as per the transfer box. Has anyone experienced this and how hard is it to remove and reseal the transfer box to the autobox.

I also need to replace the tranfer box output seals both ends so it might be worth doing it all at the same time.

If anyone has fixed these leaks recently I'd be pleased to hear of their experiences.

dusty1 08-15-2014 05:56 PM

When mine got hot it started leaking also. I put miracle in a bottle aka blue devil. No more leaks. IMO it's worth a shot. White Shepard is also a recommended additive.

G150driver 08-15-2014 06:27 PM

X2

I noticed a leak about 2 years ago. I did the fluid change and half a bottle of that White Shepard, expecting to be disappointed. Hasn't dripped a drop or missed a shift into low or lock since.

OffroadFrance 08-17-2014 03:05 PM

Thanks for your inputs guys. But I'm afraid I've never been a great believer in these sorts of 'miracle' cures and the trouble is I would never be comfortable relying on them as I would be constantly concerned over what other damage they are doing.

It's a similar scenario to the Pajero injector pump front seal (mechanical injector pump), someone had the bright idea some years ago to put 500mls of brake fluid in half a tank of diesel and said it cured the seal from leaking. Yep, it sure does, by swelling all of the seals and gaskets in the injector pump equally. Unfortunately after a while there were a plethora of failed and ruined Pajero injector pumps which were irreparable. I think of this a similar analogy which to me is of concern. IMO I'd rather fix the leak mechanically with a new gasket or some RTV.

oilspotLR 08-18-2014 01:00 AM

Where do you guys get white shepard?? I've looked at autozone, napa, advanced, and o-rileys and none of them have it. My transfercase leaks too... I'm tired of checking and adding fluid once a month.

Jared9220 08-18-2014 07:42 AM

Autozone has a stop leak called "blue devil", It's the same thing. I just bought a bottle yesterday for $23 and put in the T-Case. Mine still leaks but it says it can take up to 2 days to work. Fingers crossed. If it doesn't work I still fell $23 is worth a shot before a pull the whole T-Case to reseal it.

BlueDevil/Oil stop leak (49499) | Engine Additive and Cleaner | AutoZone.com
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znet...49499/image/2/

G150driver 08-18-2014 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by oilspotLR (Post 477521)
Where do you guys get white shepard?? I've looked at autozone, napa, advanced, and o-rileys and none of them have it. My transfercase leaks too... I'm tired of checking and adding fluid once a month.

I got my bottle of White Shepard from Amazon.

I had a similar experience trying to track down another suspected "snake oil": Lubegard 60902. Lo and behold, it actually fixed my transmission shutter.

Now Amazon is my go-to.

dusty1 08-18-2014 10:07 AM

I found the blue devil oil additive at pep boys. they didn't have white shepard

oilspotLR 08-19-2014 12:22 AM

Thanks for the information... Good luck on having the leak stopped (slowed)!

RANDY04D2 08-19-2014 09:00 AM

Mine was leaking also. Brings up a low oil press xfer case code. Was a few loose bolts on cover. Tightned em up added 2 qts and was fine...4ft 3/8 hose hose clamped to diff lube bottle. Squeeze like hell. Hose pops of bottle a few times and makes nasty mess. Just a thought. If your SURE its the seal disregard this...