Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M&S Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 04:34 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M&S Issue

Hi everyone,

I wanted to first thank you all for posting your issues and fixes on this forum. I have quietly followed this forum for a while(this is my first post) and can say that I'm a proud owner of a 2001 Disco II SE(bought back in 2005), with cold climate kit and 18's. I have followed the Land Rover mileage interval service chart and I have been current so far with just about everything imaginable, except changing the brake hoses to the steel ones. I have greased axles, changed gaskets, hoses, all fluids, filters, pump, you name it. Prior to owning this car, I only knew how to change an oil filter. The tech manual and fellow forum member advice have gotten me through just about anything! I even keep a list of extras and cosmetic items so that i can a Disco appears at a local pick and pull, I'm the first one there to grab what I need. I even went on ebay last year and bought an aftermarket dash trim kit, which makes it look even better! I just wish there was a better selection of rims out there. I'm getting tired of the stock ones now. I though of plastic dipping them, but thats for another thread, lol.

My newest issue is the famous M&S issue. I am now experiencing it more and more often now and after reading all the threads and comments, I'm stil not sure what to tackle first. Tested battery/alternator, readings are on par with everyone's posts, change tranny fluid and filter last year, no metal shavings on magnet, no dirty oil. I added fluid with car running as well. Car starts fine in the mornings, no probs there.

I think what makes my case a bit different than everyone's is that the lights and limp mode happens mostly when I come to a stop. Say I'm driving down the street at a good speed and suddenly come to a stop sign. I'll brake at the light/stop and wait until I go. It's when I begin to accelerate that the car is like it's on neutral, then 1-2 or 3 seconds later there's a thump(like the gears finally caught on) it starts accelerating. If it happens hard enough, I go into M&S and limp mode, have to pull over, put it in park, turn ignition off and back on and then everything's fine again. Some days it happens a lot, some days not.

I recently bought an XYZ switch off of ebay and planned to follow the aussie forums post on opening it up and cleaning it before installing it, but I know what a pain in the *** it is to get to by all of your posts. So can you guys confirm for me if it is in fact the gear selector(XYZ) switch?

Thanks again for any advice you guys can share!

Old 09-25-2015, 05:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you get any SES codes? Does it always reset when you restart?

I'm having an issue that causes mine to go into limp home mode. I know my issue is the CPS so I'm going to change the CPS, but have been told by a LR Dealer Service Advisor that there are also issues with the CPS wiring harness. This may actually be my issue rather than the sensor itself. Let us know codes if any.

The following users liked this post:
scapeone (09-27-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 10:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

Do you have a copy of RAVE? There are several different things that can cause the M&S to flash and if your battery and alternator are good you really need to get the codes read.

scapeone (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 11:47 AM
4wd High

I haven't received any codes yet since this has started happening a while back, which is why I'm guessing and asking the forum for help. I have an OBDII scanner, so I'll be ready when it happens.

I did some more reading and it does seem like the CPS sounds more like the cause. I already ordered one from advance auto for $50. I guess I'll keep the XYZ sensor handy as well for the future, seeing that those eventually fail too.

I saw nice video on youtube from lucky8 on how to replace the CPS. Would you guys recommend dropping the exhaust to get to that area as well?

Old 09-27-2015, 07:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

Throwing codes is not limited to the SES light being illuminated. If you are getting the M&S lights you have trans codes that need to be read with a device that is capable of reading them. The M&S lights are to the transmission what the SES light is to the emissions and other systems and the Three Amigos are to the ABS system. Lesser code readers like my UltraGauge will not read transmission codes or ABS codes. Getting the transmission codes read with an appropriate device will tell you what is wrong and help you avoid throwing money at the truck instead of focusing on the problem. (It's likely not the XYZ.)

Once again, do you have a copy of RAVE? The transmission codes are all listed in it.

Last edited by mln01; 09-27-2015 at 08:03 PM.
scapeone (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 05:58 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

have you checked your fluid?

scapeone (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 02:58 PM
4wd High

Oh wow, I didn't know that my reader will still give me codes regardless of the dash lighting up or not! Yes, I do have a RAVE manual so I'll be sure to check for any codes tonight using my scanner. I can't remember the name of my scanner now, but I had to get a special one a while back for Disco so I can reset an SRS light I had after from work. Hopefully it will work with tranny codes.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:01 PM
4wd High

I changed my tranny gasket and filter, with replaced fluid- off and then with the car running, basically filled it by pump until oil started oozing out the hole. Maybe I'll check it again this weekend to see if I need to add more. I did notice that I spot a little here and there, but only under circumstances where I drive for 3 or more hours, like a road trip. Driving around town, no leaks or spots.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:46 PM
4wd High

Hi guys,

No codes yet. I'm using an Autel Al619

Thanks!