Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M & S lights flashing intermintedly, limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default M & S lights flashing intermintedly, limp mode

Well I guess I've had too long of a spell of nothing wrong with my '03 Disco so now it is acting up just to keep me on my toes!

Yesterday I turned into the parking lot for the dry cleaners and did a sharp fast almost hairpin turn and the M & S lights began to flash and the car went into limp mode. I was able to shut it off and restart and everything was fine. Today it happened again twice with in a mile from my house, once while just driving along at 25mph or so and once while making a slight turn, again a restart fixed the issue but it's no fun doing this in busy traffic. I am not getting any check engine codes and the issue is resolved upon restarting the engine. I failed to notice any other things but after searching this topic there was some discussion about the D symbol having a line through it or flashing red so will watch for that the next time. I will just keep my driving to my immediate area for now and not stray too far from home.

As mentioned it is an '03 with about 116,000 on it, much less on the engine which I had to replace. I recently had the tranny fluid and filter changed by a local independent LR dealer who has a good reputation. They didn't report an issues like foreign matter in the old fluid or a really dirty filter.

This happened to me a couple of years ago but without the limp mode and I found at the time I had a loose battery connection and fixed that problem just by tightening everything up. My battery is less then 6 months old and the connections are clean and super tight and it always starts great on first stoke, no issues even after the flashing lights like hard starts or stalling out. Here is what I plan to do, please add your thoughts if you wish.

1. Get battery and alternator checked to make sure they are not the issue. If necessary replace or repair what is needed.
2. If they are not the issue then I plan to watch for any other change in the display such as a flashing D or red or with a line through it.
3 Try and read up here or at other forums for solution. I have the RAVE somewhere and if needed can check it out.
4. Since I live in Houston I use my AC almost all the time, some other threads talked about an XYZ switch or something. Not sure yet if that is an issue.

Any other suggestions?

Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Yet your running voltage checked, should be 13.6 to 14.4 volts. If that is OK, wait till you get a check engine light and go get the codes read.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:07 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are some possible issues with this? I am out of town and my wife just called me with this issue last night.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

If M&S lights come and go, or flash, and there is no check engine light locked in, the transmission computer thinks that volts are below 9 when it is running. So if SWMBO can drive by one of the national chain auto parts stores, they can test battery and such in the truck for free.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
If M&S lights come and go, or flash, and there is no check engine light locked in, the transmission computer thinks that volts are below 9 when it is running. So if SWMBO can drive by one of the national chain auto parts stores, they can test battery and such in the truck for free.
Actually except for one particular fault, the check engine light only comes on after the second drive cycle. So if the problem is intermittent and shows up every other time or less, you might never get a MIL.

"in all other faults, MIL On = illuminates in the 2nd consecutive drive cycle if
fault still present"

But certainly the battery and changing system is the best place to start.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I stand rejected and corrected, Sir. And a new battery is a lot cheaper than most of the other repairs indicated by this family of tranny codes. Murphy's Law for Road Warriors - the complexity of the failure is directly proportional to your distance from home.