Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF sensor FUBAR.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF sensor FUBAR.

Looking for some help. Been working on my 2003 Disco II and currently have the following codes:

P0101
P0102
P1884

Truck is running, but idles rough and doesn't respond as snappily as it used to.

After researching this forum (and a few others) the first two point to something with the MAF sensor. I pulled the "barrel" where the MAF sensor is housed and it looked clean in the tube and the sensor didn't look dirty either. I couldn't pull the sensor out due to the Torx security screws holding it in, but I did spray it with some electrical contact cleaner. Let it dry overnight, put it back in engine running exactly the same. SES light still on.

Is it most likely the MAF sensor or could it be something in the intake (leak?) before the sensor (i.e. sensor is fine)?

I'm assuming the P1884 is an unrelated code? Or is it...

Appreciate any help--love this forum as it's helped me with several fixes on my Disco.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

1884 related to dirty MAF sensor, the readings the ECU exchanges with tranny about engine load, etc., are out of realm of normal performance.

Use contact cleaner on the connector. Use made for MAF sensor spray on the MAF, when cold.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:11 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope you didn't ruin your maf with that. This is the only stuff I use on the maf and it works great, but like buzz said make sure it's cold. Like after it has sat all night and give it plenty of time to dry. I usually wait around an hr just to be sure before restarting.

CRC 05110 Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner - 11 Wt Oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive CRC 05110 Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner - 11 Wt Oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 08-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

BTW - the reason for cold is that turning the key to position 2 applies power to the sensors, and that sensor has a small spot inside that is heated up way above ambient. The difference in readings over the hot part of the sensor and the un-heated part allow it to calculate the mass of air whishing by. If you hit the hot part with cold spray, thermal shock can make it crack. So don't crank truck to move out of garage, or turn key to listen to radio, etc. Don't use contact cleaner, brake parts spray, etc. Buy something made for it.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:51 AM
4th Gear

I let the truck cool, pulled the tube out and it sat inside before I sprayed it. I couldn't actually remove the sensor from the housing so Im not sure if the cleaner even penetrated the sensor enough to clean it. The CRC cleaner is cheap and I can try to pick up a Torx security set to remove it. Anyone know what size Torx that is holding the sensor?

Appreciate the help.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Alkalinecat
I let the truck cool, pulled the tube out and it sat inside before I sprayed it. I couldn't actually remove the sensor from the housing so Im not sure if the cleaner even penetrated the sensor enough to clean it. The CRC cleaner is cheap and I can try to pick up a Torx security set to remove it. Anyone know what size Torx that is holding the sensor?

Appreciate the help.
I used vice grips on the security bolts to swap sensors from a 1999-2002 style sensor into a 2003-2004. The guts were the same exact part number from Bosch, but the barrel it goes into was different.

If you look closely, the bolts aren't exactly torx. They only have 5 lobes. Which I didn't notice until after I tried some security torx bits.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:05 AM
4th Gear

Jafir
I can see using vise grips to remove the bolts but did you reuse them or replace with something else?

Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Alkalinecat
Jafir
I can see using vise grips to remove the bolts but did you reuse them or replace with something else?
They came out very easily for me. I just put them back in. But now that I think about it, using something different might have been a good idea!

Old 08-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

After going thru all that, consider going to British Parts of Utah or an original, in the box Bosch and make sure you buy the one with the matching part numbers on the barrel.
Also don't try and buy a cheapy or generic MAF cause they won't work in your truck.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:36 AM
4th Gear

I'm gonna give the CRC cleaner a shot and if that doesn't work, will have to get a new one.

Does it harm the engine or anything else driving it when the MAF sensor is not working correctly?

Quick Reply: MAF sensor FUBAR.